Sitting in line at Franklin bbq

Ok, here is my synopsis of the food while I try to come out of my meat coma. Definitely the best brisket I have had at a restaurant. Texture was great and was glistening with rendered fat. The fatty brisket was good, but as the name implies, very fatty. Ribs are tasty, but nothing special. Same with the sausage. Brisket was as advertised. The staff was super nice and friendly. I missed getting a picture with Aaron, he left right before I could get the picture. 4 hours from the time we got in line til we ate. Worth doing once.

Ok, here is my synopsis of the food while I try to come out of my meat coma. Definitely the best brisket I have had at a restaurant. Texture was great and was glistening with rendered fat. The fatty brisket was good, but as the name implies, very fatty. Ribs are tasty, but nothing special. Same with the sausage. Brisket was as advertised. The staff was super nice and friendly. I missed getting a picture with Aaron, he left right before I could get the picture. 4 hours from the time we got in line til we ate. Worth doing once.

this was my experience too. really good brisket flat everything else didn't live up to the expectations i built up in my mind. sausage is just not to my liking at all. but it is something that we should all do once to at least say that we have been.

I'm not throwing shade on Franklin's, I've just always thought the place was so popular because Austin has become a Mecca for hipsters and young well to do people; giving this place a huge online following that older bbq places dont have. It also helps that Franklin breaks the mold for pit masters (old guy, doesn't talk much, and won't give away his secrets) that we knew growing up.

As you all know, right place, right time, right approach will turn a good product into a legendary business.

I'm not throwing shade on Franklin's, I've just always thought the place was so popular because Austin has become a Mecca for hipsters and young well to do people; giving this place a huge online following that older bbq placesdont have. It also helps that Franklin breaks the mold for pit masters (old guy, doesn't talk much, and won't give away his secrets) that we knew growing up.

Yea, that's it..........all hype. People have been standing in line at the place for years so they can get some "hype". I doubt he would still be in business if it was just hype.

Or could it be the brisket is really good and people know it when they taste it?

I have heard from many folks the sausage and ribs are just OK but the brisket is really on another level for sure.

Tipsy Texan is the best sandwich I've ever had... ever! The turkey is also pretty good too. Go back to sleep now! haha

You had me at the shot of the sliced white bread!

But seriously, great post. Thanks for sharing your day with us!

I haven't been but when it comes to chronic long lines for food, I am reminded of Hot Doug's in Chi (now closed). The dogs and fries at Hot Doug's were good, solid, but not great. So why the line around the block at all times? I myself stood in those long slow moving lines many a time and would do it again if Hot Doug's if it were still open because the whole experience, particularly once you got in the door, was fun. In addition, any Human Behaviorist will tell you that crowds attract crowds. Btw, before someone asks, Hot Doug's closed because Doug would not let anyone else man the register, never missed a minute of work when the place was open, and evidently earned all the money he would ever need.

Back