THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Hello my Friends. This is my slideshow of today cook.

11 pounder pork butt was resting in my freeze since march 2015.
Im not afraid of it and let it tawed slowly in fridge.
trimmed heavily on the fat side to remove almost totally fat cap.
Injected with some water + dry rub (Dominator Rib Rub is my favorite now) and applied some slather + a good layer of dry rub.
I settled WSM w/BBQ Guru + 1/3 lt of water in the drip pan + some spilts of hard wood.
This is a midnight cook story, so exactly at 00:00 i put the meat in and went to sleep.
waked up at 07:00, had some tee and checked my pork butt. I waited 2 more hours looking for better bark and color and at 09:00 hours in I wrapped in foil with some water.
03:30 later internal Temp was 198F (not good) but we were hungry and I preferred to let it rest a while.
At 01:00 pm I removed bone not easily and shredded it. It was really moist and had great bark too.
I served shredded pork with:
Blues Hog mustard sause
Blues Hog Tennessee red sauce
Let me tell You it was really tasty also w/o any sauce. But Tennessee red sauce was super.

IMG_1230 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1233 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1248 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1254 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1210 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1274 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1296 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1303 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1312 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1325 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1326 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1332 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1334 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_1335 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

thanks for stopping
Enrico

Looks great Enrico! Looks like you were using all wood in a WSM? Curious how that works out. Are you able to maintain relatively stable temps? Do you have to tend to it often?

Looks great Enrico! Looks like you were using all wood in a WSM? Curious how that works out. Are you able to maintain relatively stable temps? Do you have to tend to it often?

About wood , logs quantity.
First, remember I use BBQ GURU ATC system.
I started using log having seen aBBQ American Pit Master using in his WSM ONLY white oak log for all the cook.
I tried it but I did not like the bitter taste it resulted (remember pls I couldn't find any white oak, but I used red oak instead).
I replayed reducing to 1 log BURIED under charcoal ( because I have seen log completely ashed only if it was under the charcoal. If it was over, it was transformed in charcoal).
From 1 log I moved to 2 logs, then to 3.
There I stopped for many cooks. Yesterday I decided to change, reacing 6 logs (1 partially burnt. It was an "over" log from last cook).
Conclusion.
I used Oakridge Dominator sweet rib rub that I love. Great great taste and smell good! After 9 hours naked boston butt did not smell at all. It had lost any odor.
I wrapped in foil for 3:30 hours and resulted really moist and tasty but I couldn't smell any rub odor as I usually do. It was not bitter or ashtray taste, not at all, but next cook I move back to 2 logs buried.

About stable Temp. Super stable always. All along these 12:30 hours fixed @250F +- 5F.
But.... There is a BUT.
My WSM settled with BBQGURU + pizza stone instead of water pan + CB stainless door + no water (except for 1/4 lt in the drip pan) couldn't run UNDER 250F. Wichever external T it runs 250F super steady.
Could it depend on logs buried in the charcoal??? I don't know, but I like 250F !

Hey Enrico, instead of using a pizza stone in your WSM, you might give my sand method a try. I think it works much better than just about anything else.

Basically, just fill your water pan about 3/4 full with dry sand.

MJT_7640.jpg

Then, cover with heavy duty aluminum foil.

MJT_7645.jpg

The sand acts as a very efficient thermal barrier and reservoir. So, it helps your WSM run much smoother at very stable temps, plus it doesn't boil away or add too much humidity like water does.

Thanks!

Back