Should I get an offset if I have an IVS?

peterm

Hi all,

I've learned so much here; thanks for all the knowledge!

Like the title says, I've got a LSG mini IVS on order. Capacity-wise it's perfect. I'm wondering if there's any need for an offset once the cabinet arrives. I've no experience with either, having used only a large BGE since 2010. I'm very excited for the IVS upgrade, which should be decently similar to what I'm used to (Fireboard, set-and-forget idea). Is there a reason to add an offset to the arsenal? I don't have a problem sourcing wood, and finding time to manage it usually shouldn't be an issue (and when it is, I can use the IVS).

But do I gain anything from the offset? I've read from numerous folks here that the LSG IVS can get quite close to offset results once I figure out what I'm doing, and you all have given some great suggestions for how to make that happen. Is the offset largely a lifestyle choice, then, trading flexibility for the fun of fire management? I know many of you have both. I also know many of you have sold your offsets after getting an IVS.

Thanks for all your wisdom!

IVS can get close ta offset flavor and "close" is a matter of perspective and telling ourselves stories. A IVS is not a offset and smoldering wood chunks is not a hot clean fire, but we say it's close, I say it's close being a IVS owner and user...it's not a offset. The offset stick burner is king of the mountain and it's not sharing that spot with a IVS or anything else.

-D

IVS can get close ta offset flavor and "close" is a matter of perspective and telling ourselves stories. A IVS is not a offset and smoldering wood chunks is not a hot clean fire, but we say it's close, I say it's close being a IVS owner and user...it's not a offset. The offset stick burner is king of the mountain and it's not sharing that spot with a IVS or anything else.

-D

DING! DING! DING!

Smoldering wood smoke vs. flaming wood smoke is the difference.

When I had my Ok. Joe Highland offset, the fire box wasn't really big enough to easily keep splits flaming all the time. GF used to complain on occasion about the "dirty" smoke taste coming from long smoked meats. When I graduated to a real offset with a 20x20x20 fire box, no more complaints and much easier to maintain flame for the entire cook.

I cooked in comps with a pitmaker vault and had a lot of success. I recently jumped into offset game and flavor is so much better IMO. “Close” is personal assumption and I would say they may be right but offset still King

With that being said there is definitely room to have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on a similar journey to you, just a few steps ahead.

Started with a Primo Oval XL, used that for a few years but wanted to branch out to something with a higher capacity.

Got the LSG MINI (and Humphrey's) 3 years ago. I love the IVC style and flavor.

Now I'm on the list waiting to get a FatStack 80 offset.

I plan on using all of them (plus a Santa Maria which I love) once the new one comes.

I found the move from the Primo to the IVS was pretty easy as all the same principles (firebox management, air flow management ).

Offsets are different to charcoal/wood chunk cooking (which the other all are except the santa maria) and I'm excited to learn a total new cooking method.

Also, since I already need to manage a wood pile for the santa maria, that annoyance of the offset is lessened.

It's a fun journey. This might be my last pit for a good while.

I have a IVS ( Meadow Creek BX50) and enjoy the smoke flavor and bark I can get. I would get to know the Pit first, and then decide to expand. Each smoker is different, and has its own learning curve.

I am on a similar journey to you, just a few steps ahead.

Started with a Primo Oval XL, used that for a few years but wanted to branch out to something with a higher capacity.

Got the LSG MINI (and Humphrey's) 3 years ago. I love the IVC style and flavor.

Now I'm on the list waiting to get a FatStack 80 offset.

I plan on using all of them (plus a Santa Maria which I love) once the new one comes.

I found the move from the Primo to the IVS was pretty easy as all the same principles (firebox management, air flow management ).

Offsets are different to charcoal/wood chunk cooking (which the other all are except the santa maria) and I'm excited to learn a total new cooking method.

Also, since I already need to manage a wood pile for the santa maria, that annoyance of the offset is lessened.

It's a fun journey. This might be my last pit for a good while.

Thanks everyone for these helpful thoughts! Logically I should definitely learn the mini first. Unfortunately my logic doesn't always win out!

Jonah, we do seem to be in similar boats. Do you mind sharing some thoughts on how you see the offset fitting into your current lineup? It seems the mini has smoking well-covered, and the santa maria has the grilling. I get that the offset is a different user experience - do you see that as the main contribution? Are there other things you see it doing that don't have close analogues with your current ones? Thanks!

Do you mind sharing some thoughts on how you see the offset fitting into your current lineup? It seems the mini has smoking well-covered, and the santa maria has the grilling. I get that the offset is a different user experience - do you see that as the main contribution? Are there other things you see it doing that don't have close analogues with your current ones? Thanks!

When I assess my current stable of cookers one of the things I see is a lot of overlap. Mainly between the Primo, LSG Mini and Humphrey's.

The Primo is the most versatile by far. It can grill, roast, smoke, bake and do it all pretty well. I still use it for all those things (except smoking).

The LSG can be used for a variety of cooks, but is primarily used for smoking the big meats (briskets, turkeys) and is what I use for smoking more than one item at a time.

The Humphrey's has basically evolved into a single rack cooker (with pans of beans or the like underneath) as the reverse flow really makes the top rack the single best area I have to smoke. The lower racks dont perform as well. It is mainly a rib cooker as the heat flows top to bottom and that makes great ribs.

The santa maria stands alone. Grilling and roasting (if you can call it that). Ive done babybacks and beef ribs ( while going through so much wood). It really shines with Reverse sear for tri tips, picanha etc.

When deciding on getting an offset, the first thing we need to acknowledge is that I have a problem. I am not going to say you also have the same problem, that's for you to decide. It is a fairly common problem in this community. Some people get new cookers and move old one on. I'm not really that type, I tend to just collect things (same for knives, cast iron skillets,etc)

My biggest reason for wanting to add an offset to the stable is the user experience. I like burning wood in the santa maria which is more hands on but for a shorter period of time than an offset so I figure I'll also enjoy managing an offset.

My biggest complaint about the IVC is how damn easy they both are to run. Once you find a few different firebox set ups it really is set it and forget it. For example, I made a pork shoulder yesterday. Procedure - start a small chimney of lump. Build firebox "L" shaped, coals over chunks, dumps hot coals into open corner of firebox, run hair dryer on low directly into intake for 5 minutes. Walk away for 10 minutes. Pit will be at 150, put on shoulder, adjust vents, wait 20 minutes for temps to stabilize, see where they are, finalize vent position. Then just walk away. Based on vent set up pit will go up 10-25 degrees per hour and settle in between 250-325. It will then stay at that temp for hours (more than 10 I'm sure). I am certainly not complaining about how easy they are to run, but there are times when I want to do more and have more control.

I also believe I will be able to elevate some of my cooks, mainly i think it will make a difference for brisket, short ribs etc.

One of the biggest down sides to offsets not talked about is the wood pile. It can be very expensive and time consuming to find purchase and manage a wood pile. Since I'm already doing that it's not a big deal to me.

My recommendation would be get the LSG MINI, use it for a year and really put it through some tests. Try different firebox set ups, different fuel options, stable vs ramping temps. Once all of that becomes second nature and you know how you want to run the cabinet and you see what come off the pit, decide if you need something else.

I am happy to go into more detail or answer any questions

I'd have both only if I had more money than I knew what to do with! For the 10-12 times a year I smoke just couldn't justify the extra expense.

In the end I chose the 24x36 Shirley over the LSG mini and couldn't be happier. Had I chose the mini probably would have said the same thing!

Would be hard for me to get another smoker that is "better" while waiting for one on order. I have an Outlaw offset and love it. Was concerned about fire management issues but it is super easy to run.

When the newness of the LSG wears off then consider something different.

Back