Short Rib Sous vide cook

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
sleebs
I tagged on to 16Adam's first cook, so instead of continuing to hijack his thread, I figured I should post my own!

At any rate, these were bone in shortribs, 72 hours at 129 degrees. Seasoned with salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and fresh thyme sprigs. When they were done, I took them out of the bags, dried them off, and then liberally coated the outside with butter for a better sear.
Seared for ~1 minute a side on the sear station on the Weber.

24 hours to go!

Just before searing

Fire! Smoke! The sear station on the Weber is awesome for sous vide finishing. 3 burners in the space where 2 should be makes for one heck of a firestorm. If you can see the "tents" that are above the burners, you can get an idea of the spacing. Every tent has a burner going flat out underneath it. This thing is a real knuckle cooker.

Post sear

All plated up

Results were excellent, although my wife didn't care for it. She doesn't care for things that taste like roast but are textured like a steak, which is exactly how this came out. Imagine the intense beefy flavor of the best part of prime rib and it's more tender and succulent than a filet could ever dream to be. This is not a fall-apart cook, you're solidly in steak texture here. We have another set we're going to do at 144 for 48 hours I think, will post those up when done.

Thanks for the post, I've been wanting to give this a try with some short ribs off a beefer I had processed.

Great cook and looks delicious!

You're welcome! Personally, I'd do this cook again, but there's many different ways to cook and I'd like to make sure that both of us are happy. This is the guide that I used:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way

That is a lot of hours of cooking experimentation and beef purchase that is done for you. Just pick what ya want and away you go. I chose the most extreme case because...well...why not? After looking at the cook temps/times again, I think the next attempt will be 158 for 24 hours which will likely turn out more to her liking.

Nice job and post. anxious to see your 48 hour cook. BTW look delicious.

We did this as one of this first things we did when we got our sous vide machine.

They were... different. Very, very beefy.

I think they would have been much better with a sauce - you know, the kind you get from braising them.

Not sure you can beat braised short ribs. For me anyways :)

Will be interested on your follow up efforts...

There something to be had doing it this way....

Back