Shirley shipping

Damn palmtree, Id be scared sh+#less too. I'm already thinking how the hell I'm going to get it to my backyard. It's got a slight hill to run down in 2 spots, thankfully the ground will be frozen so I won't have to lay down plywood or something. Thinking at the minimum its a 2 person job.

Damn palmtree, Id be scared sh+#less too. I'm already thinking how the hell I'm going to get it to my backyard. It's got a slight hill to run down in 2 spots, thankfully the ground will be frozen so I won't have to lay down plywood or something. Thinking at the minimum its a 2 person job.
It's easily manageable on the ground even with an incline. These babies roll really well. Just put a 4x4 to block the wheels to keep it from running away if it's a steep hill and get a helper. You will be ok.

I moved recently and I'm in the hills now with a slight incline. My son and I used a "come along" to get it in and out of a 12' u-haul with a ramp.

I bought this at Tractor Supply...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tuf-tugreg%3B-commercial-web-strap-puller

20141108_124623_zpsynprhbuy.jpg

Shirley's new home...

20141127_100733_zpss4gdsraa.jpg

Yeah, crated it is a monster and required a special LARGE lift gate. The first truck had to return to the terminal because they could not get it off with a normal liftgate. It only fits in lengthwise and really hard to get out onto the lift. See here the forklift has to get it from the side with little room to work. So that was a no go and we had to uncrate it inside the truck and roll it out. It was really scary rolling it onto the lift and I fortunately had the foresight to put a big 4x4 across the end of the lift as the 1300lb monster was not going to stop. We didn't have any idea how hard it was to stop it and I needed a new pair of shorts after :shock:.
That sounds like a nightmare. We had issues getting my 450LB cabinet on the lift. We barely stopped it from going over. You just never realize how high those lift gates are until your cooker almost goes over the edge.:twitch:

Mine was shipped via Uship with a guy that specialized in hauling vintage motorcycles. He used a cargo trailer and it cost 850 to get it to AZ.

The several tie down points I had Paul weld in came in handy to secure it, as it was not on a pallet. It rolls very easy, as the wife and I moved it over 100 ft of rock and one tight turn right next to the pool. My biggest fear was having it fall into the pool.

This is the turn.

ready to cook by the pool

Yeah, crated it is a monster and required a special LARGE lift gate. The first truck had to return to the terminal because they could not get it off with a normal liftgate. It only fits in lengthwise and really hard to get out onto the lift. See here the forklift has to get it from the side with little room to work. So that was a no go and we had to uncrate it inside the truck and roll it out. It was really scary rolling it onto the lift and I fortunately had the foresight to put a big 4x4 across the end of the lift as the 1300lb monster was not going to stop. We didn't have any idea how hard it was to stop it and I needed a new pair of shorts after :shock:.

That sounds like a nightmare. We had issues getting my 450LB cabinet on the lift. We barely stopped it from going over. You just never realize how high those lift gates are until your cooker almost goes over the edge.:twitch:

They also had to arrange for a larger lift gate truck for my smoker from the terminal which delayed my delivery. The only thing it was carrying when it showed up in the morning was my smoker. Like PJ, I had to guide my delivery guy to avoid dropping the smoker when he was rolling it with a pallet jack onto the lift gate. He also said if for whatever reason the lift gate gives just RUN because it wasn't worth our lives and we had insurance. LOL

Everything worked out fine with delivery and I had it rolled down my driveway and brought it close to the garage for uncrating and running it through the side of the house to the backyard. This is where it gets good since I had two drop and an incline:becky:. My LSG almost ran off down the last makeshift ramp before its final destination. I had only my dad helping me since I was impatient for my bro and my buddy to show up as well. We secured ourselves and got it rolling down the last ramp by holding on the pull handle when my shoes slid and the 1200lb pit dragged me and him with it while we did the best to stop as much freefall as we could. Luckily it landed on a flat concrete pad made for it and stopped. It could've easily rolled to the right, left etc. and disaster:cry:. Scares the SH*T out me just thinking about it now.

My advice is to get more than 2 people for safety sake. Good luck!!

20141024_113301-1.jpg

20141024_113457.jpg

At this very moment in my life my heart stopped beating. If you look closely you can see that the crate is on a small pallet. It was very unstable, one slip on the pallet jack handle and it would have went over the edge. The delivery man was sweating to say the least.
View attachment 107029

Last edited:
At this very moment in my life my heart stopped beating. If you look closely you can see that the crate is on a small pallet. It was very unstable, one slip on the pallet jack handle and it would have went over the edge. The delivery man was sweating to say the least.
View attachment 107029
Yeow, it looks like it's teetering on the center and leaning towards the edge. Scary!!!

Had help in locating a shipper, smoker was picked up today. Should be here Friday/Saturday, just got done shoveling out a path to the backyard. We have at least 7" currently on the ground with ice underneath. Hopefully all goes smooth. I shoveled out enough I think, I'm hoping that the smoker kinda guides its way down "thru" the ice. Fingers crossed.

Had help in locating a shipper, smoker was picked up today. Should be here Friday/Saturday, just got done shoveling out a path to the backyard. We have at least 7" currently on the ground with ice underneath. Hopefully all goes smooth. I shoveled out enough I think, I'm hoping that the smoker kinda guides its way down "thru" the ice. Fingers crossed.

Ice, snow, heavy metal on wheels...what could go wrong???

Congrats on finding a solution to this nightmare! Will be glad to see some good Q pron from your new smoker. Enjoy it and don't hurt yourself getting it into your back yard.

Omar

Exactly. My hope is that it kinda goes like one of them ice breaker ships thru the Antarctic!! Ha ha

Ice and snow aside, do you have a relatively flat/level run to your backyard?
I'm curious as to how the smoker rolls on an inclined path.
Can't wait to see pics and food pron!!

Great news :thumb:

Ice and snow aside, do you have a relatively flat/level run to your backyard?
I'm curious as to how the smoker rolls on an inclined path.
Can't wait to see pics and food pron!!

Eh, bit of a slope then flattens out. Having an issue posting pics w photo oil thru iphone and can't post pics or I would show you the path.

Eh, bit of a slope then flattens out. Having an issue posting pics w photo oil thru iphone and can't post pics or I would show you the path.

That's my last hurdle, getting from the street to the backyard with a decent slope of grass inbetween. I'm not sure how well half a ton [if not more] of steel, is going to move, no matter how big the wheels.

I tell ya if it's not one thing, it's another!

Exactly. My hope is that it kinda goes like one of them ice breaker ships thru the Antarctic!! Ha ha

Get one of those canned air horn things. Then when you are done they come in real handy for scaring coworkers. That never gets old. :becky:

Back