Shirley shipping

The problem you are running into has to do with living in NJ. They have such stupid transportation laws/rules that make it hard for a shipping company to make any money shipping to or from NJ. Their permanent and temporary - one trip in or out fees are ridiculous. I would refuse any loads going to or from NJ, and some even through there because of their fees. Some guys would try to sneak in or out of there without being caught, but were taking a huge risk.

You might try finding a location in PA, that is near you to have it delivered, and then go up with a truck or rental trailer and pick it up there. There may be a Brother than could store it and take delivery of it for you. Don't know your transportation availability, like do you have a pick up truck, or a heavy duty trailer hitch for a rental trailer. You might try to get a quote for delivery outside NJ.

Try finding a broker that has some available LTL trucks that will take a "partial" load going to a drop off point. Getting it loaded and unloaded may be a problem that way, unless an LTL truck has a lift gate or a way to get it on or off the truck. I feel for you and hope you can get it safely delivered to its new home.

Omar

Did you see this? http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103050&highlight=smoker+shipping

Also, has anyone bought and shipped a LSG? If so, do you remember who they use to ship their cookers? I hear a lot about them using someone that has very reasonable rates.

It has to be the NY/NJ thing. Get a quote from Unishippers.com. Mine was shipped from LSG using Unishippers from what I saw on the bill of lading. Started with STL Lines then picked up my Clear Lane Freight then residential delivery from the terminal was completed by Total Transportation (I think a local company). Arrived in pristine condition as it left LSG.

I had my smoker at 1250lb crate weight shipping from Willis, TX to L.A., CA (1400+ miles) delivered to my door for $478 to be exact. I was in shock on how cheap shipping was when Amber gave me the quote.

$283 shipping
$150 crating and insurance
$45 residential delivery fee

This is why i didnt buy a shirley, and i wanted to, i fact i called figured out what i wanted and the shipping blew it out of the water. I was dissapointed i could not get one of them fine shirley fab smokers. I gave up looking and this past xmass the wife did all the leg work by herself and bought me a Meadow Creek pr60, I only had to drive to Indiana, 6 hours at the most there and back, lot cheaper than 1300 bucks for shipping. if i remember correctly the shipping to my area was 2000 grand, WTF thats as much for the cooker.

You can have it shipped to me and then come pick it up. I'm right across the river from your state capital.

Last edited:
If you can have it delivered to a dock it will save you lots of money.

That seems crazy high. I'm guessing the liftgate is killing you. Any friend or relative or brethren nearby with a dock or forks?

I am baffled at these shipping quotes. I just had my cooker shipped 1800 miles which is twice the distance as yours.

I paid 600 dollars and I got a couple of quotes in that range. I chose my shipper based on his feedback. He had the cooker in my yard in 2-3 days.

What category is it listed in on USHIP? I think that can make a difference. Also do you have a picture posted on the ad? Did you upgrade to a premium or urgent listing?

Good luck!

I am baffled at these shipping quotes. I just had my cooker shipped 1800 miles which is twice the distance as yours.

I paid 600 dollars and I got a couple of quotes in that range. I chose my shipper based on his feedback. He had the cooker in my yard in 2-3 days.

What category is it listed in on USHIP? I think that can make a difference. Also do you have a picture posted on the ad? Did you upgrade to a premium or urgent listing?

Good luck!

Did premium once, got nothing. Not sure on the category, I just listed it. I don't have a picture of it. I got a couple more quotes today all in the 1300$ range.

So looks like i have 2 options in the 800$ range which is what I was thinking to begin with. Thanks to all the brothers that reached out via pm and w couple even over text. Thanks guys!! I will keep everyone posted, hope she arrives the weekend of the 7th.

What 2 sites or shippers? It would be nice to have this here for someone searching for shipping information in the future. Glad you found a reasonable solution.

Yeah he says the crating and liftgate service has become a burden for him.
Yeah, crated it is a monster and required a special LARGE lift gate. The first truck had to return to the terminal because they could not get it off with a normal liftgate. It only fits in lengthwise and really hard to get out onto the lift. See here the forklift has to get it from the side with little room to work. So that was a no go and we had to uncrate it inside the truck and roll it out. It was really scary rolling it onto the lift and I fortunately had the foresight to put a big 4x4 across the end of the lift as the 1300lb monster was not going to stop. We didn't have any idea how hard it was to stop it and I needed a new pair of shorts after :shock:.

20140521_094957_zps428aeaac.jpg

20140521_095414_zpsbad81929.jpg

20140521_102601_zpsedb4a627.jpg

Back