Shhh Chilli secrets revealed.

The Spicy Hot V8 is great. Also some roasted Hatch Chilies, (Sandia or Big Jim)(3 or 4 chopped) gives it a nice kick, IMO.:icon_smile_tongue:

Thanks for sharing looks like a great recipe will have to give it a try this weekend. Love all the variations as well................

I made this chili yesterday and it was outstanding. Very big on flavor and a great balance of spice. I used the regular v8. might try the spicy next time to see the difference. I did add pinto beans because up here if there isn't beans in the chili people wonder why

Glad everyone likes it so far, Here in Iowa it finally hit some cold temps.. I might have to make me a batch soon to keep warm after a weekend of hunting.

Here's what mine looked like

1907309_721640944572600_2565477419261281864_n_zps2a8b2220.jpg.html

even though i added beans, i still added a minimal amount :) just enough to please those who think it's needed. I made a batch and donated it to a Veterans day chili feed. But not before I ate a bowl myself. I got an empty roaster back so it must have been liked by many.

I made this up before Thanksgiving. Fan-farkin-tastic!

I followed the recipe closely but wanted to keep it pretty mild because both my mom and kid would be eating it. I added in a little extra chili powder and some extra cumin to add some body without adding a lot of heat. I also found mine to be a little runny, so I added some corn starch to thicken, but I think in the future I might just drain the tomatoes a little.

I also used something called a Cubanelle pepper which apparently is a pretty mild pepper and can be substituted for an Anaheim. I was shopping at Wal-Mart for ingredients so my choices were pretty limited. I roasted it in the oven for 20 minutes or so and it added a nice flavor.

Cooked it on a Saturday for a couple of hours, fridged it, and then served on Sunday and then the leftovers on Friday. It mellows and gets really nice by aging it in the fridge for a couple of days.

Thanks, it's a keeper!

I made this up before Thanksgiving. Fan-farkin-tastic!

I followed the recipe closely but wanted to keep it pretty mild because both my mom and kid would be eating it. I added in a little extra chili powder and some extra cumin to add some body without adding a lot of heat. I also found mine to be a little runny, so I added some corn starch to thicken, but I think in the future I might just drain the tomatoes a little.

I also used something called a Cubanelle pepper which apparently is a pretty mild pepper and can be substituted for an Anaheim. I was shopping at Wal-Mart for ingredients so my choices were pretty limited. I roasted it in the oven for 20 minutes or so and it added a nice flavor.

Cooked it on a Saturday for a couple of hours, fridged it, and then served on Sunday and then the leftovers on Friday. It mellows and gets really nice by aging it in the fridge for a couple of days.

Thanks, it's a keeper!

Thanks, Glad you liked it.

Awesome, I've been looking for a new recipe to try that has won an award or has some "legitimacy" to it.

I highly recommend people try the Boilermaker chili recipe on allrecipes.com. That chili is a monster, and I replace the water it calls for with Old Rasputin imperial stout -- just make sure you've got plenty of antacid around. Is really good after a solid 8 hr cook.

Not only do I dig it, it's really close to my chilli. been putting V8 juice in it for 15 years. I'll try the sausage and sauté though. Thanks!

I'm really in the mood for chili tonight so I picked up all the fixins to make it again. This time I'm going with your ground beef (got 80/20 on a good sale) instead of cubing up a chuck roast. Still changing it a little though, using a mixture of rotel and coarsed diced tomatoes. What size onions do you use? I picked up two sweet onions that were both bigger than a softball which I plan to use. I kinda figured you were using 4 small/medium onions that you generally find sold in 2# bags.

I'm really in the mood for chili tonight so I picked up all the fixins to make it again. This time I'm going with your ground beef (got 80/20 on a good sale) instead of cubing up a chuck roast. Still changing it a little though, using a mixture of rotel and coarsed diced tomatoes. What size onions do you use? I picked up two sweet onions that were both bigger than a softball which I plan to use. I kinda figured you were using 4 small/medium onions that you generally find sold in 2# bags.

I usually do get the medium sized ones. And I have also used rotel and also fire roasted tomates also. This ingredient list is just the base line to build off of. Let me know how it turns out. I think I need to make a pot this weekend alsol

I usually do get the medium sized ones. And I have also used rotel and also fire roasted tomates also. This ingredient list is just the base line to build off of. Let me know how it turns out. I think I need to make a pot this weekend alsol
Calling charades on this entire thread.

Base line? Garlic powder? Overload of chili powder (not needed at all to make great chili)? And, rotel to top off your base line?

Glad it got good reviews but from your ingredient list and prep description, I wouldn't feed the stuff to a starved dog. Sounds more like chili you'd find on a roach coach.

Please tell what awards your recipe has won. If they were all in Iowa, I will understand.

Back