Shhh Chilli secrets revealed.

Itchy tongue?? yipes. :confused: MSG gets a bad rap, but boy does it make food taste good.

I don't do comps, but that is good advice

Itchy tongue?? yipes. :confused: MSG gets a bad rap, but boy does it make food taste good.

I don't do comps, but that is good advice

Kinda like a tingley/itchey feeling, it's not intense but I can tell when that stuff is in my food. My brother in law knows when its in his food because 10 minutes after eating it you can find him on a toilet :shock:. lol

Kinda like a tingley/itchey feeling, it's not intense but I can tell when that stuff is in my food. My brother in law knows when its in his food because 10 minutes after eating it you can find him on a toilet :shock:. lol

and all this time I was blaming it on the anchos

This chili recipe sounds really good and I'm going to have to try it sometime. I'm going to make some today and trying a few new different things. I'm going to take some bratwurst out of their casings and mix it up with some of the hamburger and I bought some of Penzy's chili con carne seasoning that I'll put in there. I don't really follow a recipe, just taste and adjust as I'm going along. It seems to always taste pretty good when it's done! I always put in chili beans and celery in my chili, it's the way I like it. :becky:

This chili recipe sounds really good and I'm going to have to try it sometime. I'm going to make some today and trying a few new different things. I'm going to take some bratwurst out of their casings and mix it up with some of the hamburger and I bought some of Penzy's chili con carne seasoning that I'll put in there. I don't really follow a recipe, just taste and adjust as I'm going along. It seems to always taste pretty good when it's done! I always put in chili beans and celery in my chili, it's the way I like it. :becky:

I hope it turns out well. I too ususally do not follow any recipie to the letter. THis is just the base I have that really makes for a great start or really good on its own..

I made my second batch of it the other day, using Johnsonville Chorizo for the sausage. Unfortunately, I didn't notice much of a difference in the taste. But the chili is still out of this world.

Pigville Porkers -

Your plated photo is interesting for me simply because of the peppers that you place on the plate - which upon addition, would make your chili exceptionally hotter than it is if one follows the recipe.

In post #92, Brew n Que makes the suggestion for use of actual chili peppers instead of the generic chili powder. Have you tried it this way? Or for that matter, has anyone? I'm guessing that the flavor profile would be vastly different. Or, would leaving the chili powder out impact the chili flavor, given that chili powder is actually a combination of a number of spices?

I am excited to try this recipe, but I would like to know the answer to the above before I launch right in. :grin:

And I forgot to ask...following the recipe in post #1, how much chili is actually made?

Peppers

Pigville Porkers -

Your plated photo is interesting for me simply because of the peppers that you place on the plate - which upon addition, would make your chili exceptionally hotter than it is if one follows the recipe.

In post #92, Brew n Que makes the suggestion for use of actual chili peppers instead of the generic chili powder. Have you tried it this way? Or for that matter, has anyone? I'm guessing that the flavor profile would be vastly different. Or, would leaving the chili powder out impact the chili flavor, given that chili powder is actually a combination of a number of spices?

I am excited to try this recipe, but I would like to know the answer to the above before I launch right in. :grin:

And I forgot to ask...following the recipe in post #1, how much chili is actually made?

It will make enough to fill two large crockpots full. As for those peppers, I usually add one Habenro for the heat depending on who is going to eat it., Most of the people around me do not like it two hot, so I usually just slice up some peppers for people to add on top.

Pigville Porkers -

I can tell you that the flavor profile is different, and to me, better. Using peppers just gives you better control over the flavor. Certain peppers give you fruity, hot, bright, or other flavors. I typically use ancho, new mexico, pasilla, cascabel, serrano peppers to name a few. Each brings a unique component to the chili. I also add additional cumin, herbs, etc, to make up for not using chili powder. Since most of the peppers are dried varieties, I simmer them in chicken stock, then puree them into a paste that then gets added to the chili. I have also just stuck them dry into a spice grinder to make powder, and that seems to work almost as well.

This is one of my favorite recipes ever -- and one of the best on this site. So I'm digging up for the noobs on the site who haven't had the pleasure of this one yet.

Besides, it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow and be blustery on Sunday with Joaquin's leftovers on the East Coast, so why not make a big ol' pot of chili?

For me, I roasted some fresh cubanelle peppers (Wally World) last time I made this (in the oven for 20 minutes at 400, I think) and it was amazing. Make sure to read other people's doctoring tips -- some great ideas here from fellow brethren!

Back