Separated from family for a while, got a little pick me up from a little smoking

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
I moved from St Louis 2 weeks ago to pastor a new church, but it is 13 hours away from my old home in St Louis. I am now an hour outside of Philadelphia. Unfortunately my wife, son, dogs, and all stuff will not be out here until September.

On my last day with the family I was able to smoke some prime rib roasts with my son helping me with his own Weber kettle.

After this I drove to Denver Pennsylvania with what I could fit in a midsize car. So no smoker. But my lovely bride had a great idea. We sold our Weber kettle and and I bought a new one out here. The old was a little out of round from getting knocked over a couple times during wind storms. And, with movers so expensive it was going to cost some money to move it. So for about $50 I have a smoker again and a little comfort while I am batching it.

Started off with some pork steaks and then some pork shoulders. BBQ makes everything a little better.

Last edited:
Sorry to read about your geographic separation from family for a bit.

I hope that this move is fruitful for you ALL as you're called to a new parish. As a PK, I thoroughly understand.

Happy to read about you cooking on the other end of the line.

Sure looks like you "went out with a bang" from how those prime rib roasts look!

Hang in there. This, too, shall pass. I can also attest to a bit of geographic separation as a "good thing" here and there.

good idea with the weber, their versatility is only limited by their capacity. i love mine. and prayer sent for success in your new area.

Great post mate, sorry about the separation for a while.
Your helper is going to miss you I bet
Hey Marc, Whats a PK?

Sorry about the new employment causing a temporary geographic distance between you and the family. But it was an awesome looking cook.

Keep us posted on your status and hopefully you will be fully moved and reunited soon.

Q looks great, it will be September before you know it and congrats on your new gig. Our Pastor just retired, he had served the church for the last 12 years, will miss his sermons .

Great post mate, sorry about the separation for a while.
Your helper is going to miss you I bet
Hey Marc, Whats a PK?

20150615-best-charcoal-grill-amazing-ribs-pk-grill.jpg

Happy to help!

thanks all for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Now I just need too figure out what to smoke next... any suggestions?

I'd second the pork belly. I had some from BeastCraft the other night and it was fantastic. I am going to need to figure that out and make it at home. The rub was salty and peppery, it very well may have just been salt and pepper. The pork belly was cut into slices like brisket and then cut in half, served with flour tortillas. It was tender, but not fall apart, clean bite. I am definitely going to be doing more pork belly.

Good luck on your new position and prayers for a quick and safe reunion. If you are like me, the options for what to cook next opens up dramatically anytime the wife is away :wink: because I like a lot more bbq variety than she does.

Back