scrapple reinvented: a new look at an old recipe

Shenco.
Great lesson on scrapple. Thank you very much. I really like the bbq pork first idea, and the sandwich is a stroke of genius.
I have made scrapple with the shoulder, but never thought of smoking it first.

I think I mentioned in another thread, some cookbook writer's call scrapple made this way [with selected "better cuts" city scrapple to distinguish it from the traditional method. Pretty sure Julia Child referred to it this way.

I'd try it. It seems like a distant cousin of head cheese (frommage du cochon).

Similar ingredients. The pensylvania Dutch call head cheese "souse", which is a pickled version.
Strangely enough, most folk in the part of South Georgia where I grew up called it souse too. My family made both scrapple and souse, but most of the neighbors made just the souse or head cheese.

Shenco.
Great lesson on scrapple. Thank you very much. I really like the bbq pork first idea, and the sandwich is a stroke of genius.
I have made scrapple with the shoulder, but never thought of smoking it first.

I think I mentioned in another thread, some cookbook writer's call scrapple made this way [with selected "better cuts" city scrapple to distinguish it from the traditional method. Pretty sure Julia Child referred to it this way.

Great point, I have heard the term but never gave it much thought. So a better term for my version might be "Barbecued City Scrapple"

Here is an interesting read, although the history portion is different than most other sources I have researched. I also disagree with his conclusion that true scrapple is dead. I see it every fall, alive and well.
http://www.davidwalbert.com/2012/04/04/in-further-defense-of-scrapple/

great post...thanks!....I'm from Philly and many 2:00 am's of my mispent youth spent at local diners with scrapple and eggs to soak up the nite's "hootch"...:becky:

When I first moved to NC I had the late night munchies and decided to order their version which is livermush. Let's just say that my stomach was not happy with the substitution, I never tried livermush again.

Strangely enough, most folk in the part of South Georgia where I grew up called it souse too. My family made both scrapple and souse, but most of the neighbors made just the souse or head cheese.

That's interesting, I didn't think scrapple made it all that far out of southeastern PA, DE & Jersey... I wouldn't have expected to stumble across anyone in Georgia making it :shocked:.

Growing up my grandfather made souse regularly though I'm not sure of its origins; endless loaves of chopped snouts, feet & ears suspended in galatin :becky:.

Try some of your scrapple on a pizza, it's phenomenal:

019.jpg

all done:

018.jpg

they say the only rule of scrapple is: don't ask what is in the scrapple. You are correct, my version omits the lips and a$$holes.

I thought that's where all the flavor came from!!:laugh:

Kind of reminds me of liver mush/pudding! I see you've tried it. A fried livermush sammich is hard to beat! Brother Garrett know what I'm talking about!

I'd hit it six ways to Sunday! I bet it's tasty.

I thought that's where all the flavor came from!!:laugh:

Kind of reminds me of liver mush/pudding! I see you've tried it. A fried livermush sammich is hard to beat! Brother Garrett know what I'm talking about!

I'd hit it six ways to Sunday! I bet it's tasty.

Yeah, after my run in with liver mush I never tried it again, but my wife loves it. She even tried to get me to go to the liver mush festival in Shelby.

Love the idea. My family used to have a butcher shop and we had our own brand of scrapple. We still make it but only for the family. Scrapple is very popular here in the area. Rapa Scrapple has a huge festival in Bridgeville De every year, but there are lots of other brands around including, Greensboro, Kirby and Holoway, Suddlerville, Haas, and Habbersett. In our area it is a finer texture due to being twice ground, once coase then re-ground fine. Most brands vary only slightly, using more cornmeal than flour, but ours and Greensboro has more flour than cornmeal. Liver is also used aournd here, but not to the extent of liver mush. Up in Pa they don't use liver and mainly use cornmeal, which is why its yellow color where here in MD and DE ours appears Gray.

Love the idea. My family used to have a butcher shop and we had our own brand of scrapple. We still make it but only for the family. Scrapple is very popular here in the area. Rapa Scrapple has a huge festival in Bridgeville De every year, but there are lots of other brands around including, Greensboro, Kirby and Holoway, Suddlerville, Haas, and Habbersett. In our area it is a finer texture due to being twice ground, once coase then re-ground fine. Most brands vary only slightly, using more cornmeal than flour, but ours and Greensboro has more flour than cornmeal. Liver is also used aournd here, but not to the extent of liver mush. Up in Pa they don't use liver and mainly use cornmeal, which is why its yellow color where here in MD and DE ours appears Gray.

Great insight on the geographic differences, thanks. I have been testing different ratios of flour and cornmeal and am planing to do a buckwheat test next. I would say the local butchers here tend to make a grey scrapple (which they label as pon hos) which probably is closer to the MD color. Mine has a reddish-yellow tint probably due to the paprika in my rub.

Very nice, well riffed.

There is a place out here called Bette's Oceanview Diner, that serves scrapple made from whole shoulders. Yours would certainly hold it's own.

Very good thread. Thank you! I think the twist on "smoked pork" is awesome. Surprised we haven't seen it before. My Dad split a whole hog with his brother off the farm and did the butchering on our kitchen table in the winters. Always took pride in experimenting with "Ponthaus". Dad was German. Mom was full blooded Czech. Never an arguement about weird, messy cooks. His recipe also called for finely ground pigs ears to add grizzly texture. He later substituted with "al dente" cooked barley. It became a Sunday morning ritual breakfast along with eggs. Thank you for rekindling the memories!

Very good thread. Thank you! I think the twist on "smoked pork" is awesome. Surprised we haven't seen it before. My Dad split a whole hog with his brother off the farm and did the butchering on our kitchen table in the winters. Always took pride in experimenting with "Ponthaus". Dad was German. Mom was full blooded Czech. Never an arguement about weird, messy cooks. His recipe also called for finely ground pigs ears to add grizzly texture. He later substituted with "al dente" cooked barley. It became a Sunday morning ritual breakfast along with eggs. Thank you for rekindling the memories!

That's what it's all about brother! Connecting to our food heritage is important and something I have been completely obsessed with. Make some ponthaus and keep the memories alive!

Back