**** SAVE THE DATE! **** Annual Northern Illinois Brethren Mid Winter Gathering, 2017 Edition!!! - Saturday, Jan. 28th, 2017

But on top of that, we all got a bottle of carb free Chipotle Maple BBQ sauce from the house. Thanks Kris!
Hahaha.. Yep, what's wrong with this picture?

IMG_20170128_124155.jpg

Thanks Ron_L, and Kris of BBQ Productions for a great afternoon yesterday! The food was fantastic, the conversation was great, and the beverage was delicious. I really appreciated the kitchen tour Kris. Hope to see everyone again soon.

It was great meeting some new guys in person. I hope to make the summer one too, when it will be a bit easier to move around and say hello to more folks.

Thanks to everyone that came! It was a good time and definitely thank you to Ronnelle for organizing this!

I only took a few pictures, all of the crowd, so here they are...

Attachments

• IMG_8492.jpg
    IMG_8492.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8493.jpg
    IMG_8493.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8495.jpg
    IMG_8495.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8496.jpg
    IMG_8496.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8497.jpg
    IMG_8497.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8499.jpg
    IMG_8499.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8498.jpg
    IMG_8498.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8500.jpg
    IMG_8500.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 48
Can't wait til the summmmmmer bash- where we will cook. :mrgreen:

Speaking of summer, I should look for a location. Any preferences? I seems like we are stuck with cook county because of the no alcohol rules in the other counties. Last year's location was convenient, but it was a long haul to get stuff to the shelter. How about Red Gate again (three or four years ago?). Not as convenient, but better access to the shelter.

Also, I had a suggestion of doing a friendly rib cookoff. What does everyone think?

Im in, if its dog friendly all the better. My wife and I can book a room and stay the night......:thumb:

The Red Gate or the one 2 years ago would be great. The one 2 years ago was 10' from the parking, and the red gate was easy enough to unload by the shelter. It was a great time yesterday, meeting some new Brethren. My wife and I stayed at Ted & Lisa's friday night, then followed them to the lunch on Saturday. It was an awesome lunch, then we went over to chicagokp's to look at his Shirley smoker with Shagdog. We then went to the Light the Lamp brewery in Grayslake and ended up in Libertyville at the Mickey Finn's brewery, where we stayed the night. Great job Ron setting this up, can't wait till the summer bash!

The Red Gate or the one 2 years ago would be great. The one 2 years ago was 10' from the parking, and the red gate was easy enough to unload by the shelter. It was a great time yesterday, meeting some new Brethren. My wife and I stayed at Ted & Lisa's friday night, then followed them to the lunch on Saturday. It was an awesome lunch, then we went over to chicagokp's to look at his Shirley smoker with Shagdog. We then went to the Light the Lamp brewery in Grayslake and ended up in Libertyville at the Mickey Finn's brewery, where we stayed the night. Great job Ron setting this up, can't wait till the summer bash!

I agree that the layout of the one two years ago was great, but it was hard to find. I think a couple of people got lost.

I'll look at what is available and start a new thread.

I agree that the layout of the one two years ago was great, but it was hard to find. I think a couple of people got lost.

I'll look at what is available and start a new thread.

Busse Woods? Right off of 53 & 72. I think they have 7 or 8 groves.

Little further north is Dam #1 Woods in Wheeling. Two groves, one with a limestone shelter that is right next to parking. Not sure which type of shelter is preferable.

Busse Woods? Right off of 53 & 72. I think they have 7 or 8 groves.

Little further north is Dam #1 Woods in Wheeling. Two groves, one with a limestone shelter that is right next to parking. Not sure which type of shelter is preferable.

Are either Cook county? I'll look. I don't think going without beer is a good idea :becky:

I'll look at dates near the end of July or early August.

How does July 29 (Saturday) or August 12 (Saturday) look? Anyone have any commitments so far?

Last edited:
August 12th works better for me. RAGBRAI (the bike ride across IOWA ends on the 29th.

Thanks to much to Ron and his wife Amy, and Kris of BBQ Productions. We very much appreciate your time and efforts. Met some great folks, had some great food and look forward to cooking with you this summer!

And for Cook County, alcohol is not permitted within 50 feet of the roadway, or else where posted.

http://fpdcc.com/preserves-and-trails/rules-and-regulations/

So far they haven't bothered us. We try to keep bottles/cans covered. They have checked our permit, however.

Looks like Lake County permits alcohols as well.

http://www.lcfpd.org/recreation/picnic-shelter-rentals-faq/

But before you ask, no dunk tank or pony rides are permitted. :sad:

Well then... That's out.

:becky:

I'll look at Lake County, too.

Aug 12 sounds good to me, but either will work. The rib comp sounds kind of cool also, maybe it will draw more Brethren. As for the liquor that LYU370 brought, I still can't get the taste out of my mouth.

Thanks, Ron, for putting together the bash. Everything was awesome. Just not enough time to chat with everyone. The summer bash moves a little slower. So far whatever date you can get is fine with me. I liked the Red Gate Woods area from a couple of years ago. Any grove around there is usually pretty nice.

Back