THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

StLouQue

Alright gang, I've read the pros of adding fire brick to the Bandera. Then, a couple of weeks ago, Tom mentioned the value of the sand-in-the-water pan method. So far, I've done neither. If I could ask a couple of questions perhaps I could jump off this fence. Do any of you know if either the sand/water pan or firebrick method are significantly more effective for holding temp in the smoke chamber?

And what is the value of placing fire brick in the firebox? Given the high temps generated by the coals, are the bricks (in the firebox) really providing any benefit? Please explain.

Thanks,

I was planning on doing at least the sand this weekend and maybe the fire bricks if I can find them for a good price. I would also like to know more details.

Also, has anybody else realized how F'ing hard it is to type when you have a flying pig staring at you? I'll be right back... going to load my pellet gun! :twisted:

Fire away bucko! Actually, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned that minus the wings, I'm...uh...its a humpin' pig.

i posted this yesterday.. and it seems its been eaten.. That pig freaks me out to. reminds me of those flying monkeys on the Wizard of OZ, and the gargoyles.... now i'm gonna have nightmares.

Somebody hold me.

On the second page of this forum is a section called Sand in the Water Pan, it's Tom's original discussion on the subject. Brought it over from Yahoo cause I was interested and didn't want to loose it before someone who shall remain anonymous deletes it. Anyway I have done it on three cooks so far very pleased. Lined the pan with foil then filled it 2/3rd's with sanatized play sand. Before you ccok lay another couple of layers of foil on top of the sand and go to business as usuall. Only thing I have made of point of doing was top kep it sprayed with apple juice or whatever you choose every 3/4 to 1 hour.

Best part is clean up. When finished just wad that top layer of foil up and toss it. That's it don't have to deal with a messy water pan. Been a God Send for me, cause I was the world's worst at cleaning that damn pan. With regard to heat retention it seemed to help but I also doing lazy Q so ? Just another way to skin a cat. My $0.02 worth.

Now the internet search for the day is a Avatar of a couple of humping pigs. :D

Either one will do the job acting as a heat sink which helps stabalize the heat in the chamber. Brian's reason -- helps with clean up -- is a perfectly valid reason for going with sand in the water pan. I've been debating this myself and have about decided to go the sand route -- but then I have an ECB and can't try out the firebricks :D

Firebricks are probably a more elegant modification and still allows you use of the water pan if you should need it for some specific application (aromatics in the steam, etc.).

So, you've got a coupld of choices with no concensis -- about average for the Brethren!! :D

i put bricks in the fire box as well as the smoke chamber but they were free (they are only 1" thick they are more like oven pavers for a big bakery)
i think it helps me tremendously but i made a charcoal basket at the same time
so i'm not sure which one is the major factor the bricks or the basket

the two of them together are great

Using the sand will let you "hold" more heat in the chamber also. In case your cookng at a higher temp. Water boils at 212 and the excess heat is given off in the steam. The water at any time sould be at 212 no higher. With the sand you can keep heating it up until it melts and it will "hold" that temp in it to help regain internal chamber temp. I think sand melts during nuclear detonation but who wants that in their chamber?

Water boils at different temps based on altitude above sea level. At sea level it boils at 212. Here at 6,700 ft it boils at 199. Screws up all cook book cooking times and recipes. Wife had to buy a high altitude cook book to adjust. Since the water boils sooner (lower temp) internal meat jucies evaporate quicker and meat has to te cooked longer without its juice to reach safe temps, the result is tougher meat when it is safe to eat. So you just have drink until you don't care if it is tough or not!

I use fire bricks in the fire box to help prevent as much heat loss as I can and it will also extend the life of the fire box by reducing bottom burn out. They are 1.5 inches thick and cost $1.25 at a brick yard, look in yellow pages under brick.

I have problems getting air temp in smoke chamber over 260F due to oxgen is only 20% in a cubic foot of air. Adding more coals dosent help. So, I am going to add a fan outside of the fire box damper to push more air/min to coals.

:idea: :lol:

Also, has anybody else realized how F'ing hard it is to type when you have a flying pig staring at you? I'll be right back... going to load my pellet gun! :twisted:[/quote]

Scared the heck outa me, I thught it was the avenging pig angle comming to get the Pig Smokers! :roll: :arrow: :twisted: :evil:

Back