Ribs for potluck.

Brahern02

Name or Nickame
Brendan
We are having a birthday potluck with some friends at a campground next weekend. I was asked to make baby back ribs. There will be other stuff there too like pulled pork, burgers, chicken wings etc. There will be around 15-20 people. I’ll get a firm count closer to the end of the week.

First question, how much? With other stuff, I’m thinking a quarter rack or so per person. With that number, I’m looking at 5 racks, but I’d probably do 6 just in case. I can fit 8. I’ll be using a pit barrel cooker. Also, should I cut into quarter slabs, or cut the individual ribs? Or does it matter?

Next question is timing. Not critical as there will be no set time to eat. We will probably put food out at 3, but usually things go out as they are ready. So having it done by a specific time isn’t really a huge deal. But, I don’t want to put out a ton of ribs at once and have them go cold. I was thinking of putting half the ribs on, then after an hour, put the rest on. That way when people want more, they come out hot. Or should I just make them all?

Last thing, the most I’ve done on the PBC at once is 3 racks. I’ve done several cooks. It takes between 2.5 and 3 hours and is pretty consistent. I’m guessing it will take a bit longer if I’m doing 8 racks.

Sorry for making this long, this is just the most I’ve cooked thus far and I want it to be good.

I think you're pretty right on about quantity but it depends on what people prefer to eat . They might all just skip the burgers, chicken, and pulled pork and go for those spectacular ribs !!! I'd cut to individual ribs so it would go further. Can't offer much on staggering the cook but personally, I'd just get it over with and try to keep them warm on the pbc if you can.

On a side note ... I did 8=9 racks on the pbc all at one time ... a lot of fat dripping on the coals ... sort of snuffs the coals ... when I opened the lid to check ... whoosh ... giant grease flame ... boy did I move fast ... good luck and have a great time.

Back