Ribs & Chicken Sunday Cook

jelewis67

Got Wood.
Hello,

This is my first post and I've only been using my smoker since September. It has been a lot of fun and I've learned a lot since I've started. A lot of it has been on this site. Thank you!

Had a chance to work on my ribs and chicken yesterday. I brined the chickens starting on Saturday with salt, sugar, soy sauce and a little brown sugar with a few peppercorns in there. I didn't get a chance to let the skin dry out so the skin didn't turn as crispy as I'd hoped. That was the only drawback, it was otherwise some of the best I had made up to this point (my Wife's words). I used two different rubs. One had salt, celery salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, paprika and coconut sugar since it was in front of me on the counter. For the 2nd chicken, it was roughly the same ingredients, but I had added some chipotle chili powder that I had ground up from jalapenos I had smoked prior. It added a nice flavor, not hot, just a little tickle at the end.

My BB Ribs I had put the same rub on those as well. 1 with the spicy and without.

I fired up the smoker with some charcoal first and then got some pecan going. Once I got my bed of coals set up, I kept it pretty steady at around 250 to 275 with no major fluctuations. The chickens took about 2 ½ hours. The ribs took about 3 ½. I didn’t wrap and they were very tender. I did spritz with apple juice after the first hour.

My Wife made some great sides. Roasted sweet potatoes and some garlic cauliflower. Everything turned out great!

Here are some pics, thank you for looking!

Attachments

• BB Ribs 2.jpg
    BB Ribs 2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 137
Looks excellent!

Chicken is hard to get crispy at lower temps - what you've got there looks great though!

I looked at your post again and you reinforced a great point that I've found very helpful (although I'm occasionally guilty of leaving this theory). YOU KEPT THE SAME BASE and temps FOR YOUR RUB AND ONLY MADE ONE SUB - then you used it on both meats. This is a great way to learn (and I'm always trying to learn). Yes, indeed a smart way to go wether that's rub, sauce, temps, cooking techniques, marinade, brine, or wood. Very smart and a very good looking cook!

Looking forward to. More posts!

Thank you for the kind words! Thanks Sausage Warrior I hadn't thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, it makes sense. I usually try to cook more than one type of meat on the smoker just to have additional food for the upcoming week. I just need to start writing down how I'm making everything. My better half keeps reminding me! :)

Back