Rib Membrane??

I never remove anymore. I used to.
But found folks who like/prefer crispy pork fat like having the crispy membrane. Mine is never soft/chewy membrane. And when hanging ribs, the membrane helps hold the ribs together/on to the bones. Giving you a bit larger window to remove before caveman. The membrane pulls right off if wanted once cooked.
If someone requests it, I remove the membrane.

I agree with this ^^^^^ 100%

For family and friends, I always remove the membrane. For really large cooks, i.e. > 25+ racks, the membrane stays on. Deminimus difference. That's just me.

I recently read that leaving the membrane on helped contain the moisture on the bottom side. I could see where it would. FWIW, I always remove mine.

Ive read the opposite, that the membrane shrinks, causing the moisture to sqeeze out of the meat. I even think someone did a test via Sous vide showing more juices in the bag with the membrane still on vs the membrane removed. Of course there are other variables but i recall the weight of each sample to be the same. But theres also bone weight that was probably not accounted for.

Are folks answers based on general home/competition use cases (as I do remove then)? Cuz once you get into catering volumes (which the op mentioned as well) things/life choices get different after that first 25-50 racks :-D

Are folks answers based on general home/competition use cases (as I do remove then)? Cuz once you get into catering volumes (which the op mentioned as well) things/life choices get different after that first 25-50 racks :-D

I would think that taking too many shortcuts because you have a lot of paying customers would be a good way to have far fewer paying customers over time.

My personal limit is about 15-20 racks by myself. Above that I recruit help, or pay someone else (butcher) to do it.

I always remove it. For comps and at home. And especially for paying customers.

I have always removed the membrane until someone showed me how the membrane completely dissolves in the final stage of cooking.

I have a close friend of the family that competes nationally as well as runs a large catering business, and she does not remove membranes for either class of cooking (competition or catering). She attributes the membrane to preserving flavor of the meat and preserving moisture. - Oh... and they do not wrap their ribs either......

The membrane can't be bad for competition because her team has won close to 700 KCBS awards and has even won first place at the Best of the West Nugget Ribs Cook-off (Superbowl of BBQ Ribs). It also can't be bad for their catering as they are already booking events through next summer. She says the secret is to hit the membrane side with high heat in the last stage of cooking and it completely dissolves.

I could understand maybe a random win as a fluke, but they have won 700 awards including by invitation only KCBS events such as and including; a Grand Champion win for the State of New Jersey BBQ Championship, the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ and The Best In The West Cook-Off in Sparks, Nevada - the super bowl of barbecue competition events, just to name a few.

During those events, their sauce has also won 1st place in contests such as the Great America Rib Cook-Off contest held in Cleveland, Ohio. Other 1st place awards for Best Sauce include Naperville, IL, Minneapolis, MN, Cedar Rapids, IA, Indianapolis, IN, Columbus, OH, Toledo, OH, Dayton, OH and Ocean City, NJ.

I've had their ribs many times and I could not see or find any sign of a membrane, nor could I feel anything as I ate the ribs. So I am a believer that you can have great success either way.

Here are a few recent articles on her success in competition.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...85&postcount=1

I would think that taking too many shortcuts because you have a lot of paying customers would be a good way to have far fewer paying customers over time.

My personal limit is about 15-20 racks by myself. Above that I recruit help, or pay someone else (butcher) to do it.

Not a shortcut really. When rolling hotter it has great bite through in my experience. We don't do it for a living (at least not anymore), but ribs sell out quick when we cook the larger quantities. Had people coming back for seconds my last go round.

There is a storied BBQ joint in Oklahoma, dating back to the 30's and featured in various BBQ books, who have never removed the membrane. It doesn't seem to have been a problem for them.

We usually leave it on, as my wife likes ribs that way, but I don't mind removing them if someone requests it. I might feel differently if there were 50 slabs to contend with, though.

And when hanging ribs, the membrane helps hold the ribs together/on to the bones. Giving you a bit larger window to remove before caveman.
Thanks for that tip, I've only had one go caveman on me when hanging but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra insurance.

Most of the time I pull the membrane I guess out of habit, I have cook ribs with and without never really notice much of a difference.

Most of the cryovac back ribs I buy already have it removed. Either that or I'm too dumb to find it.

I'm a backyard cooker and I always remove the membrane, more out of habit now than proven neccessity.

Confronted with 50 + racks, however, I would probably take the path of least resistance and leave it on. :-D

Oh, you're gonna get more response here in Q-talk, but I don't think you're going to find a definitive answer.

= : )

I pull them-yes, every time- BUT I don't cook tons at a time like some of you.

Would Cross -hatching the membrane with a sharp knife be a valid middle ground between pulling and leaving?

Leave...lazy... I play the "it makes them juicier" card to justify it.

I do slash/score it a few times, but it never is really noticeable during eating.

Back