Reverse Searing done right (finally)!

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
Hey y’all. Figured I would share a success story I had whilst cooking for New Years Eve. I have, in a few posts/comments I’ve made on here, expressed my desire to take my grilling technique to the next level, particularly with regard to reverse searing. My issue was, my usual 2-zone fire is plenty hot for long cooks, but not ridiculously blazing hot enough to give a good sear at the end and get that yummy char onto my steaks/burgers. I guess if I am honest, I was always kinda lazy about it. Just indirect grill and then move them to the hot side at the end to kinda get a half-a%$ "sear". I didn't want to mess with moving them off the grill when they were almost done, adding wood to the fire, and coaxing ultra-hot temps. Using the lazy method, my burgers and steaks always came out pretty good I suppose, but I really wanted to take them to the next level.

This time around, I was determined to pay extra attention to the process and dote on every detail. I was prepared, y’all. :-D My part of the menu for the evening was simply deer/bacon burgers and ribeyes. The lovely wife prepared all the sides (which was a HELL of a lot harder…squash casserole, spinach dip, black eyed peas, pico de gallo, cheese dip…I was exhausted just watching her…I’m glad she let me play on the grill instead).

I built my usual 2-zone fire with Royal Oak lump and mesquite chunks. Cooked the burgers indirect until they were almost done, then threw a couple mesquite chunks on the coals and finished them over open flames. Did the same for the ribeyes...let them get up to around 120 on the indirect side...but when it was time to sear I threw on four BIG mesquite chunks and fanned the flames with a cookie sheet until they were a raging inferno. That was where it's at!

The outside of the steaks were BEAUTIFULLY charred, and I managed to get them to my desired spot some place between medium rare and medium. Well, except for the two that some family members who shall remain nameless requested that I cook to well done. :tsk::tsk:

The burgers...man the burgers! They actually had a bit of a smoke ring to them it looked like. Nice and charred on the outside and juicy on the inside.

So, in short, the process works. It takes a little doing to coax up rip roarin' flames for searing, but it is well worth it. I'm thinking next time I might try using a cast iron pan to go for the crusty burger type thing.

Any other tips/tricks you guys have for reverse searing? I always love to learn.

Happy New Years!

I use a Primo XL and smoke burgers and steaks around 225 degrees until their around 120 degrees before pulling and opening the vents wide open. Once the thermometer is somewhere over 400 degrees I sear on a cast iron pan resting on the lower rack. The cast iron pan gives a nice even char on the entire surface, but you give up the fancy cross hatched grill marks.

I use a Primo XL and smoke burgers and steaks around 225 degrees until their around 120 degrees before pulling and opening the vents wide open. Once the thermometer is somewhere over 400 degrees I sear on a cast iron pan resting on the lower rack. The cast iron pan gives a nice even char on the entire surface, but you give up the fancy cross hatched grill marks.

It's sounding more and more like I need to bust out the cast iron pan. Guess I can just plop that sucker right on the grill above the coals on the hot side?

I get my blow dryer out and get the coals hot as Hades.
Nothing like a reverse sear! And aren't those 'EX' family by now?
'two that some family members who shall remain nameless requested that I cook to well done.'

Back