Reverse seared Wagyu NY Strip on the Kettle

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
Wagyu NY Strip. A little over 1.5" thick. Just thick enough to warrant a reverse sear.

Using the Slow n Sear on the Weber kettle 26". Really haven't used this that much so wanted to give it a shot. Smoking over post oak chunks at 300 to internal 115. Wanted to slow cook at 225 but raced past that point early in the warmup. Did the cold grate sear, 40 seconds per side, then a second sear 30 seconds per side so a mini-fleak. Perfect internal doneness. Would have liked a little better crust on the outside but overall was good enough. Very intense smoke flavor. The slow n sear and kettle really does a great job of imparting a strong delicious smoke flavor. Really enjoyed this steak. I would prefer to use the flat side of the Grill Grates for the sear to be totally honest.

sorry about the sideways pics. will fix later

Attachments

• STEAK 6-28 4.jpg
    STEAK 6-28 4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 158
  • STEAK 6-28 2.jpg
    STEAK 6-28 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 158
  • STEAK 6-28 3 .jpg
    STEAK 6-28 3 .jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 156
  • STEAK 6-28 1.jpg
    STEAK 6-28 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 156
Looks really good!

Lately I have been taking the sns out of the kettle and just banking the coals old school style. I am
Not sure why, but I get a much hotter fire and a much better sear that way. (Fogo black bag lump)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who knows, gtsum? I think the sns helps you stack the coal higher but it seems to limit the amount of charcoal a bit so by doing the old school way you can make up for it in volume. For me, next time I use this method, I am laying a single panel grill grate over the coals flat side up to get a quick sear. That will probably happen this weekend.

Really enjoyed the flavor though.

Back