Reverse Seared Ribeyes

SkaterSmoker

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
MJ
I've had my first offset for five months now, and to my surprise reverse seared ribeyes are my favorite thing to cook. I've found getting 3.5 inch thick ribeyes work the best. I smoke them at 250 for about 2 hours until 110, rest for 5 minutes or so while I build my fire and prep my cowboy grill, and then sear to the desired doneness of my guest, usually about 3-5 minutes per side. The thickness allows more smoke flavor with a longer cook time and a longer sear time as well for that crust.

Last edited:
Amazing!

One of my favorite things too!

That color on the second picture is legendary. Good job!

Thank you! The thinner steaks don't get that color. The first time I tried a thick cut, it was so good and that color - I thought I got lucky and couldn't replicate it. I was so nervous the next time I tried it (haha way over thinking it), but they keep getting better and better each time I cook them now!

I don't often have access to an actual butcher, but during holidays I buy the 1 or 2 bone beef rib roasts that end up kind of like those.

With a bonus beef rib to gnaw on as well as a giant "steak"!

I cook em at the same temp and try to get as much smoke as possible on them for that awesome color.

It's a little harder for me to attain because I'm just using the kettle set up as a smoker, but I find that by rotating the meat periodically and going for heavy blue smoke I can sometimes get that beautiful red color all over.

Back