Restaurant Depot-Brooklyn Center

jstrand

Full Fledged Farker
Never been to RD before and since this one doesn't require membership I decided today was the day.

FARK ME! I was overwhelmed! Just the spice and seasonings area was worth the 40 minute drive! Way cheaper then anywhere else. I originally wanted some tri tip and was hoping they had Picanha. Didn't see any Picanha but found all the empty slots for tri tip and Beef short ribs! :mmph:

They have quite a selection of cheese as well. There was a 25# bag of jumbo carrots for like 11 bucks, biggest carrots I've ever seen! Anyway the more I walked around the more I started to feel like I was going to have an aneurysm from trying to take it all in.

So since I had just finished making 10 pounds of bacon (my first time), I decided to grab a 13 pound pork belly for 3.03 a pound. Not bad, I know Costco is 2.99 and Sams is 3.68 a pound. I don't need a membership at this RD though. Oh, and I grabbed a 5# pack of LEON'S Cajun-Style Andouille Sausage marked down to 16 bucks. Never had it, never heard of it but I'll try it!

After that I headed to Sams, where I have a membership and tried to find some beef ribs, they have them but they are always cut real thin, I want the whole damn thing before they wreck em by cutting. I asked one of the butchers and he found a pack but it was a 4 pack, I don't need or want or could afford the 121 dollars for the whole thing. Thankfully he split it up for me so i have around 9 pounds of short ribs uncut in 2 sections. :clap2:

I left the house with 100 bucks to spend and ended up spending 120. I was only going to ask for one rack of beef ribs but since he was willing to open a 4 pack I decided not to push my luck.

Anyway, RD was really cool and I can see myself spending more money there in the future. So anyone who's in or near the Twin Cities, the Brooklyn Center RD is open to the public and you owe it to yourself to go. The St. Paul location is membership.

I find the meat prices to be close to Sam's, one way or the other. But RD has cuts I can't find anywhere else. I bought a meat slicer after my first trip. I watch for sales and markdowns. The luncheon meat deals will pay for a slicer pretty quick if your family eats much of them. Some things are high, and some are cheap. Just have to start doing price comparisons to figure things out.

Thanks for the info - I’ve never visited a RD but I’m adding it to my list! Great to know the BC location has no membership. Thanks jstrand!

I wish the Dallas one didn't require all the BS. I know about the KCBS thing but it just seams like a hassle.

I find the meat prices to be close to Sam's, one way or the other. But RD has cuts I can't find anywhere else. I bought a meat slicer after my first trip. I watch for sales and markdowns. The luncheon meat deals will pay for a slicer pretty quick if your family eats much of them. Some things are high, and some are cheap. Just have to start doing price comparisons to figure things out.

^^^^^ This. Salami is $8-$10/lb around here at Kroger. At RD? A 5 to 6lb roll is $2.59 per lb. Look at logs/blocks of cheese as well. If you cut your own, you might want to get a box of deli paper to separate the slices.

Thanks for the info - I’ve never visited a RD but I’m adding it to my list! Great to know the BC location has no membership. Thanks jstrand!

Right on! I know there's not a whole lot of Minnesota folk on here but figured it might help a few.
I know a lot of people have complained about the employees being rude at the RD's they go to but that was not my experience at all.
Also like I said certain meat items were already sold from the shelf space so I'm not sure if they get restocked throughout the day or if it's first come first served until the next day. I was there around 1pm and all tri tip and beef short ribs were gone. At least from the area you could buy individual packs.

Been to this RD once. I actually live just down 100 in Golden Valley, I should go more often. The one and only time I went it was specifically for short ribs and I was able to pick up a big cyro pack of 4 "racks"

Went to St. Paul one last Saturday. I had to talk my way into a day pass but they gave me one. I don’t live close enough to get there often wish I was closer but 3 hrs is too much. Good to know about the Brooklyn park one. Love those stores tho. My mind sure does spin like a kid in a candy store

I believe Brooklyn Center doesn't allow any type of private memberships within the city lines.

I try to make it in once or twice a year. I really like their tomato basil tortilla wraps. I usually get most of my meat from Sams Club. Except their ribs have gone down hill since switching brands. I should take a peek and see what R.D has to offer. Nice to see all Sams Club start carrying Prime beef though.

Sams does have Prime beef, however the Shakopee one had 2 briskets and like 2 or 3 steaks. I could count every Prime item on one hand. All 3 times I've been there. :mmph:

Sams does have Prime beef, however the Shakopee one had 2 briskets and like 2 or 3 steaks. I could count every Prime item on one hand. All 3 times I've been there. :mmph:

I'm really hoping Sams in Shakopee gets a makeover like other Sams meat departments have. The 3-4 briskets they had were floppy and I would've taken home if looking for a brisket. It's a start with them bringing in prime. I can find tri-tip at Shakopee Cub and now prime cuts at Sams. Not too bad for Shakopee

Do you have any friends that own their own businesses and have tax IDs ? If so, get them to sign up and have them add you to their membership.

I actually own my own business...... and my laziness has shamed me into taking action. I applied online and will probably stop by on Friday to get my card. Thanks

I'm really hoping Sams in Shakopee gets a makeover like other Sams meat departments have. The 3-4 briskets they had were floppy and I would've taken home if looking for a brisket. It's a start with them bringing in prime. I can find tri-tip at Shakopee Cub and now prime cuts at Sams. Not too bad for Shakopee

Nice. How much they getting for those tri tips per pound? Nice find. I think I can get them at Mackenthuns in Waconia but they usually want top dollar per pound for things. But I know I can get whatever I want i just need to ask. But i'm cheap!!

Nice. How much they getting for those tri tips per pound? Nice find. I think I can get them at Mackenthuns in Waconia but they usually want top dollar per pound for things. But I know I can get whatever I want i just need to ask. But i'm cheap!!

$6.99/lb

Back