THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
I'm getting tired of using oven mitts and kitchen towels, and think it's time to invest in a good pair of heat-resistant gloves.
Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Ideally, I'd like something that's tough enough to handle hot grill grates, but I don't need something that's NASA certified.
Thanks in advance!

Find a close Harbor Freight and get a pair of welder's gloves. They can handle decent heat and will be fairly inexpensive. If you want to spend some cash, I know there are fancier gloves that people have found. There was a thread no too long ago. I will see if I can dig it up.

I am with Ron on this one.

Here's the deal, handling hot metal, it's nice to have a little fabric/texture for grip. That same stuff doesn't do so well handeling moist foods.

I use the heat/rubber gloves for handling food. They are easy to wash, keep heat away nicely. Great for pulling some pork as it were. They are slippery when wet though.

Welders gloves are all you need.
And they're only $10/pair @ Home Depot.
I have cooked a half dozen hogs since I bought mine and they work wonders - especially with a Caja China box.
The heat emanating off that box when it's going is frightening!
But even for my smokers or grills, welders gloves provide all the protection you'll need.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. I've got a pair of bear claws that I use for handling hot meat, so it sounds like welding gloves are the way to go.
Thanks again!

For moving meat from smoker to pans I just use a good cotton glove with a food handler vinyl glove. I tried a couple pair of the texasbbqgrub gloves and the more I used them the less pliable they got.

Don't want to hijack but I was going to post a similar thread so i will ask my question here re: welders gloves: Can I reach in and remove a smoker box from my vertical GOSM smoker to replenish wood or will this char my hand sinec it sits directly above the burner? Great question Chezmatt.

Welding gloves for working the fire and handling hot metal. But for the meat, I actually use a pair of insulated crab/lobster gloves. I've had my current pair for 3 or 4 years now and they cost me $9 or so.

Welding gloves ... but it takes a darn good pair to remove a platesetter from the green egg. I finally got some silicone gloves for handling food.

i just picked up some welders gloves at harbor frieght fot $4.99 today. that way i can handle anything i need to do with my stick burner. I haven't tried them out yet but will plan on it this weekend

Last year I got a fairly expensive set of gloves that I used to remove the platesetter from my Oval. I could do this when it was 400*. I loved them. They were close fitting and I could just reach in and grab the grate, metal, heat-shield, whatever. Unfortunately, after about a dozen uses, the stitches have given out, arrrrgh!

Another vote for HF welding gloves! I finally got tired of the old bbq mittens and made the trip to HF. Wish I'd done it YEARS ago. I'm a little slow sometimes...

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Following the consensus, I just picked up a pair of $10 welding gloves. I'll report back after the next cook.
:thumb:

High heat handling will make welder gloves hard and not pliable.One way to help prevent this somewhat is to rub them down really good with petroleum jelly when they are brand new,before handling anything hot.At least they are pretty cheap.You might wanna check out a pair of Orcas for handling large pieces of hot meat.

I use Black Knight rubber gloves for handling meat. Turning butts or ribs you don't want to use Bear Claws. Just google Black Knight and you find industrial vendors and you can get 3 pair shipped for under $20.

Back