THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AJREALBBQ

Found some matches.
I have been kicking around getting a pellet grill for years and I keep coming back to the REC TEC. I would enjoys hearing from the brethren on those who have RECTECs and/or those who have decided on a different brand, along with the reasons of course. Thanks

I have the predecessor of the Recteq 700, and it's been a great smoker. Customer service has always been top-notch, too. That said, if I were looking at a RT 700 today, I'd also consider the Grilla Grills Silverback. They seem very similar, both are made in China, both are sold by US companies. The Grilla has an insulated cooking chamber, it's a little less expensive, and customer service is reportedly excellent. They have a Dallas showroom off of I-35E just north of 635 if you want to check one out in person.

Also thought of the Yoder as a more expensive option

I have been looking at Rec Teq and Yoder as well. I know people that have Yoders in Alaska and they hold temperatures very well due to the steel thickness. Its hard to bite the bullet but I feel I am almost ready to buy the yoder!

I have a buddy that has the RT and loves it. Has nothing but amazing things to say about it. I have the MAK and Yoder. 2 excellent cookers as well. It probably comes down to personal preference and what features are most important to you.

I have the predecessor of the Recteq 700, and it's been a great smoker. Customer service has always been top-notch, too. That said, if I were looking at a RT 700 today, I'd also consider the Grilla Grills Silverback. They seem very similar, both are made in China, both are sold by US companies. The Grilla has an insulated cooking chamber, it's a little less expensive, and customer service is reportedly excellent. They have a Dallas showroom off of I-35E just north of 635 if you want to check one out in person.

Silverbac owner here, and have been very happy with both the cooker and the company's customer service.

Customer service story - when mine arrived, the box was pretty beat up. Did a check to make sure there was no damage to the components and accepted delivery. P ackaging was excellent (no damage to the unit despite some rough handling). Easy enough to put together (watch the videos).

When I got it all together, it didn't start up. All the components were moving and there was power, so I reached out. Mark (the president) got right back to me, and their support technician was on the phone with me very late on a Friday. Pop a wire back in and off you go.

Depending on your familiarity with pellet grills, there are a couple of things I would be aware of.

1. Noise - the fan/sound of moving air is loud.

2. Smoke profile - is not as much as I might like. It's great of chicken and even pork. I'd like more on beef.

3. Direct heat - there is none, and most pellet grills don't have an effective way to provide direct heat.

From all the reading I've done, the Mak seems like the unit that most addresses items 2 and 3. I'm sure there are others, but if I had to do it again I'd save a bit (lot) longer and shoot for the Mak.

I have the Rec Teq 590 and love it. I went with it because of the ceramic igniting rod, the great warranty, and the great customer service. The WiFi is excellent and the controller is spot on. It has never given me any trouble.

I have the Rec Teq 590 and love it. I went with it because of the ceramic igniting rod, the great warranty, and the great customer service. The WiFi is excellent and the controller is spot on. It has never given me any trouble.

I have a 590 also, I completely agree with the above statement. There was missing hardware but they sent it right away and some of their rubs to make up for it.

I have a rec tec 680 and it's good for the most part. Cooks very well and of course as stated above they have great customer service. The only thing about pellet smokers is the fact they just don't put on the smoke flavor as a traditional stick burner. If I were you, if you want the easiness of a pellet smoker but cooks like a traditional smoker I would look at the new gravity fed smokers from Masterbuilt and the Char Griller 980. Both are just like the rec tec but cook with charcoal and wood instead of pellets. Just like the rec tec they are set it and forget smokers, and both have wifi capabilities.

I had a RecTec about 6 or 7 years ago (The one with bull horn handles) It was fine, customer service was top notch with some issues I had.

I just bought the Pit Boss Laredo 1000 Platinum. It has a PID, 2 built in probes, wifi and bluetooth, 26lb hopper, internal light and a pretty good adjustable direct sear device. I got it because my buddy has an older one without the PID and probes and loves it. The new platinum series are only available at Wally World for now. Built very well and so far I love it.

BIL got the RecTec and loves it. He is coming out in July to cook on mine so he can do a good comparison.

My wife gave me a RT-680 in 2016 and I love it!! You will not be disappointed with RecTec. Customer service is superior.
David

I'm very happy with the RT-700.

There are only 2 small negatives. The first is that I would not trust the food temperature probes too much. The obnoxious fanboys on social media are the second negative.

If I had to do it all again, I'd buy the RT-700 all over again.

Back