Raichlen’s Top 10 Meat Cities in the U.S.

PaSmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Because "spirited" debate is fun...:pop2:
Herewith, Raichlen’s Top 10 Meat Cities in the U.S.:

Austin, Texas: Where else do people start lining up at 8 a.m. at Franklin, La Barbecue, Micklethwait Craft Meats and other great barbecue joints that won’t open until 11 a.m.? Doesn’t anyone in Austin have a job?

Dallas, Texas: I have just two words for you—the “brontosaurus ribs” at the new Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum.

Los Angeles, California: The Italian steak house on Melrose, Chi Spacca, may serve the biggest steak in North America—the 4-inch thick, 50-ounce wood fire-grilled costata alla fiorentina. And that’s just the beginning.

Brooklyn, New York: Hometown Bar-B-Que, BrisketTown, Fette Sau, not to mention the legendary Peter Luger Steak House. Need I say more?

Atlanta, Georgia: If you don’t believe me, sit at the bar at King + Duke and watch steaks, chops and burgers roll off the monster wood-burning Infierno grill.

Kansas City, Missouri: Jon Russell’s. Q39. The Local Pig. Not to mention such local classics as Oklahoma Joe’s. When it comes to barbecue, Kansas City still rules.

Chicago, Illinois: Sure, they have landmark steakhouses to rival any in North America, but Chicago gets my vote for its unique Italian beef sandwich. Yes, you want it with hot peppers.

Portland, Oregon: The secreto at the Imperial restaurant. The asado argentino at Ox restaurant. The “Porkstrami” at Tails & Trotters. This meat-tropolis on the Willamette River has become a carnivore’s paradise.

Washington, DC: Never mind all the pork that gets generated by Congress. Don’t miss the herb-smoked steaks at Del Campo and the spit-roasted whole lamb at Kapnos.

North Carolina: OK—it’s not one city, but a whole state gone hog wild for pulled pork at such landmark barbecue joints as Lexington Barbecue in Lexington, Wilber’s in Goldsboro, the Skylight Inn in Ayden, the Pit in Raleigh, and the new Ed Mitchell’s in Durham.

I like ol' Steve. Used to watch his shows back when I had the bunny ears on the tube,..... satillite doesn't carry create,.. just the main pbs channel. Thanks for sharing the list. :thumb:

Sort of a strange list. He gives examples of specific restaurants that serve a lot of meat to say the entire city is a meat city. Incidentally, he really should know that Amarillo serves the 72oz "Big Texan" that is nearly 50% larger than that of Chi Spacca. It would be nice to normalize for population and for price.

I've never eaten at King+Duke in Atlanta, but since it's in the Buckhead area it's either over-rated or over priced.
No thanks. I'm sure there are far better places around town.

Dallas over Houston? Madness I say!

Houston has more BBQ restaurants, more competitions, more everything....

Dallas over Houston? Madness I say!

Houston has more BBQ restaurants, more competitions, more everything....

That may be true, but Houston apparently doesn't have the '“brontosaurus ribs” at the new Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum.'

Well, probably a generic "Carolina" should have been listed, since SC barbecue is just culturally significant as NC's.

How the hell can Memphis, capital of one the major BBQ styles be left off the list?

An honorable mention for the list -- Porkopolis, a.k.a Cincinnati, was historically a major market/processing center for pigs until the 1860s, after the railroads came to Chicago.

Back