Question for seasoned competition goers.

I beg to differ, Candy! If that's the case, then what the devil have I been so busy with? Between the score sheets and the comment cards, I barely have time to breathe after awards! Come see us in Marksville!

Glad to hear that, Lynn! I look forward to cooking a BCA event. Wish it could be Marksville.

I challenge you, Candy - come work in the judging area with me. I know several cookers who have and have tried to follow a box - they were never able to.

Lynn H.

Really depends to a large degree on how the area is set up to receive boxes and how large the contest is. I've assisted Head Judges before, I know it can be done at least if the set up and size of contest allows. When a KCBS contest is set up where table captains can see teams turning in, it can be done then too. (That's why table captains don't see teams turning in!)

I beg to differ, Candy! If that's the case, then what the devil have I been so busy with? Between the score sheets and the comment cards, I barely have time to breathe after awards! Come see us in Marksville!

Glad to hear that, Lynn! I look forward to cooking a BCA event. Wish it could be Marksville.

I challenge you, Candy - come work in the judging area with me. I know several cookers who have and have tried to follow a box - they were never able to.

Lynn H.

Really depends to a large degree on how the area is set up to receive boxes and how large the contest is. I've assisted Head Judges before, I know it can be done at least if the set up and size of contest allows. When a KCBS contest is set up where table captains can see teams turning in, it can be done then too. (That's why table captains don't see teams turning in!)

Smoke'n Ice, SCBA is a truly blind judging, cannot be followed and gives out score sheets at the end of the event. It works well and is mostly understood by all cookers.

The point I was trying to make about blind judging is IBCA and their ilk are almost impossible for even the rep to know the cook/box number during the active portion of the judging. In KCBS anyone with any smarts can figure out the team based on the box number because of the adder which is usually a simplistic number of 100 or 120 etc. makes math for most a simple exercise. The reps always know whose box is where and since they are always beyond reproach, this is no big deal, right?

Back