THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
OK, the wife and I went to a older family run meat market the other day to check out the prices. We were greatly impresssed and decided to go there next time it was time to "stock Up". Anyway, They had a cooler full of Briskets and I looked them over.
The first thing that caught my eye was the plastic cryovac listed Angus Beef down the length of it. But what confused me was that the USDA rating on it said Select. Isn't that pretty much the bottom of the barrel, just above what they use for dog food? The way I remember back was Prime, Choice, Select. Prime being what pretty much never makes it to the meat counter and only gets sold in Resturaunts. Choice, if we're lucky to find it in the big chain stores ans Select is what we get on a regular basis.

Alright, so my question is... What's the difference between Angus and Certified Angus Beef? Would a Select grade of Angus Beef Brisket be better than a regular Select grade of Brisket you'd get at Wally World or some other place?

Thanks

I went through the research months ago (there's a thread somewhere about this very topic) and Kevin is right CAB is a marketing tool - and effective. CAB must be from a 51% black hided steer, it should grade out Choice, and it is "selected" by a CAB inspector.

100% Angus is just that Angus beef - whether CAB inspects it or not. Obviously, even Angus beef can grade Prime, Choice, Select, or even Canner!! Age of the animal, feed (corn finished vs. grass fed) and many other things play into the grading of the carcass.

The thing to remember is that the grade mostly informs of the level of marbling in the meat.
So "select" does not mean that the meat is inferior by any means. It just means that the meat has less fat running through it than choice or prime.

Back