Quartered Smoked and Pulled

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
For a while now I've been doing my pork using SirPorkALot's Lexington style method here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525
I really like the bark I get from not wrapping and the simple seasoning really lets the pork and smoke shine through. I don't always do a shoulder and a picnic as he instructs because I usually don't need that much.

Today I decided to try an experiment, I deboned and quartered my pork shoulder both to reduce cook time, and to get a higher ratio of bark.

I started with a 10 pound shoulder, that usually takes me about 12 hours without wrapping, deboned quartered it and got it on the pit.

krRwVVuh.mp4

zIckc4Bh.jpg

After a bit I added a fattie and some reapers and ghost peppers to make Chipotle Flaming Anus sauce

o4nuUMrh.jpg

Instead of taking 12 hours the meat was done in 6.
fhmjSDlh.jpg

The peppers were done too

BABijyWh.jpg

I foiled the pork and put it in an ice chest for a few hours, then I pulled it and tossed in a little of the finish sauce. It was outstanding. Higher percentage of bark vs cooking whole and to me that means it all is a little smokier too. The only slight drawback was that with the shorter cook time there was a little more un rendered fat than usual, but not too much, and that gets taken care of when you pull or chop the pork. I pulled.

gvudoKGh.jpg

I always split my butts in two for the same reasons as you. I never tried four pieces. Yet.

Hope you post some details about your anus sauce :thumb:

This whole post just doesn't sound right.
Split butts and anus sauce...

I always split my butts in two for the same reasons as you. I never tried four pieces. Yet.

Hope you post some details about your anus sauce :thumb:

This whole post just doesn't sound right.
Split butts and anus sauce...

I have ghost peppers, reapers, Trinidad Scorpions and various other peppers growing. Those bushes for the super hots get big and produce a lot here in South Louisiana so I get a lot of peppers.

I use some to make a superhot Louisiana style hot sauce, I coarsely chop the peppers and layer them in a jar with salt then let them age and ferment for about a month, then I put them in a blender with as small an amount of vinegar and water as I can and run the blender till it's all smooth. I do this outside because the vapors will kill you. For the chipotle style I smoke the peppers first and then do the same.

Ghost peppers and reapers actually have a really good flavor (especially the ghost) the problem is they are so hot you can seldom use enough to get the flavor. I make the sauce as more of a novelty and give most of it away to friends. I'm a Cajun, our food tends to be flavorful and a little spicy, but not crazy so (and not as spicy as a lot of restaurants try to portray) so a bottle of this stuff last me a long time.

For a while now I've been doing my pork using SirPorkALot's Lexington style method here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525
I really like the bark I get from not wrapping and the simple seasoning really lets the pork and smoke shine through. I don't always do a shoulder and a picnic as he instructs because I usually don't need that much.

Today I decided to try an experiment, I deboned and quartered my pork shoulder both to reduce cook time, and to get a higher ratio of bark.

I started with a 10 pound shoulder, that usually takes me about 12 hours without wrapping, deboned quartered it and got it on the pit.

krRwVVuh.mp4

zIckc4Bh.jpg

After a bit I added a fattie and some reapers and ghost peppers to make Chipotle Flaming Anus sauce

o4nuUMrh.jpg

Instead of taking 12 hours the meat was done in 6.
fhmjSDlh.jpg

The peppers were done too

BABijyWh.jpg

I foiled the pork and put it in an ice chest for a few hours, then I pulled it and tossed in a little of the finish sauce. It was outstanding. Higher percentage of bark vs cooking whole and to me that means it all is a little smokier too. The only slight drawback was that with the shorter cook time there was a little more un rendered fat than usual, but not too much, and that gets taken care of when you pull or chop the pork. I pulled.

gvudoKGh.jpg

Looks killer!

I’m honored that my techniques inspired your cook.

Looks killer!

I’m honored that my techniques inspired your cook.

I've been using your technique for a while and it by far produces my favorite pulled pork. The bark that develops by not wrapping, the smoke penetration the meat gets not having a rub for the first bit, and just the simplicity of it really getting the taste of the meat and the smoke. Thank you for the time you took to share your step by step, it's been invaluable to me.

I've often thought about fermenting smoked peppers. So far I haven't. But mine won't be quite as hot.
The hottest peppers I grow these days is Red Savina Habanero. PLENTY hot enough for any sauce I want to make.

Thanks for the inspire.

Those certainly turned out great. I like the hot stuff but, it doesn't like me as much anymore

Yep, been cutting my butts into BIG chunks for awhile now and love the turnout way better than a whole butt. People, give it a try and think out side of the box.

Back