Pure wood in a USD

So basically, you are making your own charcoal on the first cook. After that you are cooking like many other UDS owners, Lump charcoal with wood chunks.

No,.. he's cooking on it as described. If he has "left overs" he's putting them back in the basket.

I've thought about doing this a few times, but, was worried about a nasty creosote fire. I will pull the trigger and give it a whirl Friday. :thumb: I'll report back.

Oh, and thanks for the post ! I needed something to do with my half day off tommorrow!!

I have always wanted to try this in my egg or wsm........but like everyone else worried about he dreaded oversmoked. Nice work!

If I were going to try this I would use smaller chunks. It might help the fire burn cleaner.

I see you use a square basket (milk create) to burn the wood chunks did you use same when you used charcoal this said how does square basket compare to a round basket in the UDS. Looking at building a new basket don't know if to go to a round or square one ?

I'll have to try that. I usually have a nice little pile of smaller sized chunks of wo0d left over after I finish with the splitter (I get wood from a local tree guy, and cut it to 16". When I do so, there are often short pieces and chunks left over, since the tree guy just cuts the wood into manageable pieces and hauls them off to the wood yard.) I'll have to give these a try.

I still havnt tried it - anybody else try it?

Have not tried on a UDS. I have tried this to do high temp chicken smokes on my WSM. Works like a charm--this gets a quite smoky but not bitter bird. Don't know if this would work for something that smokes as long as a butt or brisket.

Maybe I'll try ribs with apple wood and let you know.

If I have the time to babysit the cook, I use straight wood chunks. I don't have a good local supply so it does get expensive having to buy at Menards, HD etc. And this time of year most do not stock any of the large bags of spits only smaller bags of chunk. I'm also doing it in my newer horizontal UDS. I, like it.

I have been trying more and more wood in mine with every cook. Next cook will be 50/50 wood to charcoal.

I have yet to get the wood smoke flavor that I want.

No I haven't tried but don't think I ever would either. As hot as the fire gets a bigger cooker is needed imo.

You get a lot more airflow, no smoldering, clean burning/roaring fire, correct? If the OP can get a 24 hour burn, there must be a lot of smoldering, right?

Back