Pierogie

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
There was a recent posting by a member for Pierogie, which led me to searching for recipes. My ex was Polish, she had a recipe from one of her aunts and we'd make these every year as a family around the holidays.

I set out to making the filling, which in the past has included potato and Farmer's cheese. Market Basket was out of Farmer's cheese so I searched for substitutes and came up with Queso Fresco.

So here's an Italian's take on making a Polish dish. I've never done these on my own and I know why it takes a family to put these together. They're a lot of work.

The filling. Potatoes, butter and the Queso Fresco which didn't break down as well as Farmer's cheese but it didn't seem to matter. I added a bit of Cottage Cheese which I had on hand -

lo44aLW.jpg

The dough was pretty forgiving, not a difficult recipe with the stand mixer. Resting -

NDmACYc.jpg

Half the dough, rolled out -

mE389De.jpg

Cut out -

o1BOSmk.jpg

My filling technique needs some work, but these were acceptable. Not the prettiest, but acceptable -

RSMjbbe.jpg

In a pot of boiling water til they float -

QKYJKte.jpg

Fried in butter only. Mrs lunchman will not eat these if there are onions -

CHb498S.jpg

Served on Okie china! -

fZUnafP.jpg

How were they? Not bad, for an Italian. Not quite as good as I remember, but not all that bad.

I've only used half the dough and only a portion of the filling. I'll make more tomorrow with the Mrs helping me. I was a lone Pierogie maker today and it wore the heck out of me.

Just messing around in the kitchen, again!

Regards,
-lunchman

They look more than acceptable Dom, more than I’d tackle by myself fer sure.

My ex is French Canadian but also has Ukrainians in her family. Pierogies were a big deal in her family and yes they are a pain to make but oh so good. Yours look fantastic. I miss the real deal pierogies.

Good stuff Dom!

Give me a pierogie, pirogge, peroshki, pelmeni, varenyky, dumpling, khinkali, gyoza, mandu, empenadas.....

The list is never ending but I like them all.

There was a recent posting by a member for Pierogie, which led me to searching for recipes. My ex was Polish, she had a recipe from one of her aunts and we'd make these every year as a family around the holidays.

I set out to making the filling, which in the past has included potato and Farmer's cheese. Market Basket was out of Farmer's cheese so I searched for substitutes and came up with Queso Fresco.

So here's an Italian's take on making a Polish dish. I've never done these on my own and I know why it takes a family to put these together. They're a lot of work.

The filling. Potatoes, butter and the Queso Fresco which didn't break down as well as Farmer's cheese but it didn't seem to matter. I added a bit of Cottage Cheese which I had on hand -

lo44aLW.jpg

The dough was pretty forgiving, not a difficult recipe with the stand mixer. Resting -

NDmACYc.jpg

Half the dough, rolled out -

mE389De.jpg

Cut out -

o1BOSmk.jpg

My filling technique needs some work, but these were acceptable. Not the prettiest, but acceptable -

RSMjbbe.jpg

In a pot of boiling water til they float -

QKYJKte.jpg

Fried in butter only. Mrs lunchman will not eat these if there are onions -

CHb498S.jpg

Served on Okie china! -

fZUnafP.jpg

How were they? Not bad, for an Italian. Not quite as good as I remember, but not all that bad.

I've only used half the dough and only a portion of the filling. I'll make more tomorrow with the Mrs helping me. I was a lone Pierogie maker today and it wore the heck out of me.

Just messing around in the kitchen, again!

Regards,
-lunchman

Nicely done! That was my recent post you are referring to. If you have trouble finding farmer cheese, it is VERY easy to make your own!

I'm not a fan of frying my pierogi, prefer them just boiled with butter and onion slathered all over them!

Give me a pierogie, pirogge, peroshki, pelmeni, varenyky, dumpling, khinkali, gyoza, mandu, empenadas.....

The list is never ending but I like them all.

Yes! The different cultural variations are interesting.

I'm kinda lazy - I like to use the pre-made Chinese dumpling wrappers to make dumplings. Then I can concentrate on the filling. Steaming to cook, and optionally frying, is pretty easy.

Those look fantastic, Dom! I grew up on Hunky food, mom was Slovak, and dad was Polish. Christmas time, my mom and grandma would get together and make 10-15 dozen of these with mashed potato and sauerkraut as the filling just for out Vilia Supper (Christmas Eve). Farking DELICIOUS. Just boiled and slathered in melted butter and caramelized onions. Yummy!!!!

I have made many things that didn't look as good as I had hoped, but the important part is when I took a fork to it, and it looks like those passed that test very well!

Thanks all. These were kinda fun to make - today, with the help of Mrs lunchman. :laugh:

I rolled and cut out the dough, she had the great idea to portion the filling which kept things neater and cleaner.

One tip I hadn't mentioned yesterday is to take each 3" dumpling and roll it from the center towards the edge with the end of the tapered rolling pin. Turn 90 degrees and continue doing so until the dumpling is a lot bigger and thinner. The technique was learned from a dumpling video from Souped Up Recipes. Trying to fill a 3" dumpling that's too thick is impossible.

Sorry, no pics today. But the pierogie looked a lot better today than yesterday, thanks to my wife. These all went into the freezer.

Thanks to Bury Me in Smoke for the original post, inspiring me to tackle these. Totally worth it.

-Dom

Back