Pulled Pork and Chicken Thighs

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
A good day of grilling yesterday. I had a pork shoulder in the freezer which was purchased with the intent to become pulled pork. I tried something a bit different than I would normally do, mainly which was to remove the fat cap. I usually score it and cook low and slow with the cap up, but this time I removed it completely to give a lot more surface area on the shoulder for the rub.

I set the Goldens' up for indirect, sprinkled on some Midland Ghost hot sauce as a binder and applied Plowboys Bovine Bold. This is about an hour into the cook with the Goldens' running between 260 - 275 -

After about 2 - 3 hours -

It's taken on a nice color at that point in time. The total cook was just under 9 hours. I also didn't use a mop sauce like I normally would. I also never wrap but this time decided to wrap in foil when it reached about 165 and increased the grill temp to about 325.

I did have to add more lump to the grill about 6 hours in just to be safe. Great fun removing the grates and a hot searing plate with the Thermoworks Smoke alarms blaring that the grill temps had fallen but it was really no issue.

Just about ready to come off the grill, ready to rest. It was almost probe tender at 195, I let it go til around 202 and definitely probe tender -

Not too bad looking and it pulled nicely -

I made up a North Carolina Vinegar sauce along with some coleslaw -

Meanwhile, over on the Weber Kettle -

The Mrs was in need of Chicken Thighs for a recipe to be made later in the week, so the Weber was fired up as well. Prior to the thighs going on I also grilled some red and green peppers for that same recipe.

First batch of thighs on the Weber, seasoned with Rub Some Chicken -

The second batch was seasoned with McCormick Montreal Chicken. It definitely took on a much nicer color and the skin was incredibly crisp.

Probably the nicest looking skin I've ever achieved on thighs -

And that concludes a Sunday full of grilling! All turned out well, there's plenty of pulled pork for sandwiches and hopefully the thighs won't get eaten before my wife uses them in her recipe. If that happens, I'll just make more. :grin:

Thanks for checking out this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

That all looks amazing! I'd definitely have a hard time letting those thighs sit in the fridge all lonely

Brunswick Stew

What to do with a lot of leftover Pulled Pork that's been in the freezer? Make Brunswick Stew!

No prep pics as I hadn't planned on posting this, but it turned out quite good. I'll walk through the prep instructions.

Yesterday I soaked a 1 lb. bag of Baby Lima Beans in salted water, letting them soak overnight. This morning I rinsed them to remove some of the salt, placed them in a pot of water, brought them to a boil and left them at a slow boil for about a half hour.

While the Lima Beans were cooking, I steamed a few ears of corn. When done, I sliced the kernels off 2 or 3 cobs.

Meanwhile, in my Lodge cast iron Dutch oven, I sauteed a few slices of bacon, cut into small pieces. Added the Mirepoix: carrots, onion and celery and let that saute until tender.

In went two cans of Petite Diced Tomatoes, to which I had added brown sugar, Old Bay seasoning and some of that North Carolina BBQ sauce.

Finally, in went the Pulled Pork, the Lima Beans and the Corn. I let it simmer on low heat for at least four hours. All this is being done on the stove, the only thing cooked on the grill was the Pulled Pork itself.

My apologies for not taking prep pics, but these will have to do.

After 4 hours of simmering -

It just had to be served with Cornbread -

Lunch is served! -

This will also serve as an entry into the September Restaurant Favorites throwdown. We've had this at a BBQ restaurant on the NH/MA border called Smokey Bones. Their version is good, but mine was a heck of a lot better.

If you're looking for something to do with all that leftover Pulled Pork, give Brunswick Stew a try.

Thanks for checking out this post and today's lunch.

Regards,
-lunchman

Dom, that looks ridiculously good!

I wish I had some butter and sorghum or molasses for the cornbread....

Well done.

Thanks all. This was one of those "I've got a ton of pulled pork in the freezer, what am I going to do with it?" cooks. A YouTube video from Cast Iron Chaos popped up in my feed a few days ago for Brunswick Stew answering my question. Of course, now I have a lot of Brunswick Stew to eat, but we'll give some to family.

As mentioned, we've had this at Smokey Bones, sometimes it's not even on the menu. I guess it depends on how much Pulled Pork they have left over.

Re: the Lima Beans. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of them either and I had to ask my wife "aren't Lima Beans usually green?", but these were Goya brand. As far as taste, well, they don't really taste like anything and I think they simply absorb all the flavors they're cooked in.

The sauce was a bit on the sweet side, just as I remember it at Smokey Bones, thanks in part to the Brown Sugar and the North Carolina Sweet BBQ Sauce I'd bought at Walmart. Just the right amount of sweetness.

If you've got an excess of Pulled Pork and want something else to do with it other than sandwiches, give Brunswick Stew a try.

-Dom

Back