Pulled or chopped?

Chop or Pull

• Total voters
Jeff_in_KC said:
Not that I recall, Dustin. I think they just mention that it can be chopped, pulled or sliced but don't discuss the merits of any of the methods. But they mention the same thing for briket and chicken too.
Jeff is right. The difference is not discussed as far as what is preferred. What is emphasized is that the way the meat is presented is the way the competitor wants you to taste it. Speaking as a judge my own personal preference is pulled so when I get chopped pork I always like when a piece of pulled pork is also included without sauce. The problem is if the chopped pork is mixed with a sauce I don't care for it might get a lower score.

jt said:
I pull the meat for pulled pork.

Same as putting water in the water pan.
*ducking*

<ahem>

To me, chopped pork means that you're hiding something that keeps it from being good pulled pork.

racer_81 said:
<ahem>

To me, chopped pork means that you're hiding something that keeps it from being good pulled pork.

Not necessarily. The first pork was chopped not pulled in the southeast. Besides, after doing it both ways, I think chopped is just as good as pulled. Doesn't pull off the sandwich like long strands of pulled does.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Not necessarily. The first pork was chopped not pulled in the southeast. Besides, after doing it both ways, I think chopped is just as good as pulled. Doesn't pull off the sandwich like long strands of pulled does.

Go to a restaurant that offers chopped or sliced BBQ. Chopped is always cheaper. Now ask yourself why that is.

You say that your very own chopped is just as good as your pulled. I don't dispute that. But then, YOU know what you did with it - you know what the original pork portions were before they were chopped.

I prefer pulled, becuase it means I get to play with the bear claws. When I get lazy the cleavers come out and chopped it is. Both can provide a satisfying meal however.

I like to pull my meat but there are times that I've had to chop it if I didn't get it to the right temp. Sometimes, I just have to cut it...

Better half likes it chopped.

Me? I like pulling it. Its a hands on the meat thing....

To quote a wise ole South Georgia country boy, "Just ain't none bettah...."

racer_81 said:
<ahem>

I voted pulled….

I have to go with Racer on this. I live in central S.C. & what I’ve found here is that there is more chopped offered here than pulled in local Q joints. In my mind, and this is strictly my opinion. You get more mileage out of chopped, even more if it’s sauced. You can hide the chunks of fat (stretching the yield) and masking with sauce. If you look at it, in a business that’s looking for quantity, not quality, that’s the way to go. Granted you may not be in business long, but some people like it that way (chopped & sauced), but not me.
Don’t get me wrong. There are some great Q joints around here that serve it up chopped & sauced, (that I frequent) and those I highly recommend, but for my taste, it’s pulled in my backyard, and sauce is optional. Of course there are those times when I should chop & sauce!!!:oops:

Back