Prime Rib ?

What I like to do is get 2" thick bone in rib steaks (mini prime rib roasts, and smoke them very, very low. More smoke flavor and less time. Meat is more consistent. Takes maybe an hour or two.

I'm in the cut and tied camp. It allows the ribs to be used at the natural rack, and still gets the super easy carving off the bone.

When sharing pics with photobucket on android go to share (the icon with the 3 balls) and select "copy link to clipboard" than select "img" copy and paste into the body of your post

Oh i take off the bones. They make a great meal themselves. The roast cooks more evenly and is easier to slice. You also get the crust around the entire roast.

I prefer to cook as low as possible until an IT of 125-130. Let it rest for a half hour or so while you get the grill rocket hot (or whatever your searing with). Sear on all sides until desired crust forms. I like a bit of horseradish and cream sauce.

In the end with such an awesome cut, its hard to mess up

Wow that really looks good !!!
What is the lowest temperature you will smoke on ?
Also I seared it first. Maybe I should have seared it last.
Thanks for the info ....

Wow that really looks good !!!
What is the lowest temperature you will smoke on ?
Also I seared it first. Maybe I should have seared it last.
Thanks for the info ....

I've done 200 in the oven (i prefer oven cooked with a sear over wood coals)

Some ovens go as low as 170. Ive also seen some low temp pellet cooks

I may try a 24 hr sous vide @ 130.

I cut the bones mostly off by leaving about a half to one inch of meat left. This acts like a hinge between the roast and bones. I then season and tie the roast up to cook. Once done, this makes cutting the bones off a quick process.

I do bone off, because of how I get my roasts. I get an entire cryovac from Sam's and either cook the entire thing or cut it down for freezing.

I have always had the butcher cut the bones off then tie back on... always lived under the assumption the bones add great flavor, this year may go with a costco Prime whole prime roast without the bone...

I don't know about when I cooked it but cooking with the bone on was a big advantage because we used the bones to make a wonderful prime rib stew it was delicious,

:icon_smile_tongue::icon_smile_tongue::icon_smile_tongue:To answer the question, I prefer to cut the bones off the roast, then tie them back on after rubbing them. Another thing I've found that adds flavor if to "wet age" the meat in the fridge (in the cryovac or vacuum bag) for two to three weeks. Man the taste and tenderness are outstanding!

So does anyone inject their Prime rib? I want to smoke one this weekend and trying to get my supplies rounded up, my daughters coming in from collage (UNCP) and I want it to be tasty!

Back