THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Found out my Father-In-Law is planning on doing a prime rib for Christmas Eve dinner. He asked me what would be the best method for cooking it and how long it would take. He said he got a 12lb prime to work with. Off hand I told him he didn't want to let it go over 135* internally and that he should look at it taking anywhere from 4-5 hours to cook.

Now, this is where you all come in. Do you recommend going hot to start 400*+ for like half an hour and then finishing it out at like 325* the rest of the way or, would you recommend the reverse? Personally, I like the reverse method but, if someone isn't watching their temps closely it could mean that they will be too late to crisp up the outside without overheating the inside.

Also, do you think my time estimate is accurate with a minimum 30 minute rest included?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Back