THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Someone got me thinking about potato salad...and what a great Summertime dish right?!!!

I'll tell you what i don't care for. Don't really care for the sweet and really saucy tater salads nor for the heavy mustard or Amish style. Anyone care to share one that is chunky/crispy and not too saucy?

I found this one that sounds good but I'd do it cold not warm.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtOfyORv3_E"]How to Make Awesome Potato Salad Recipe - YouTube[/ame]

from aaron franklin's book:

3 lb russet potatoes, peel and cut into 1/2" dice
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup yellow mustard
3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt

boil potatoes until just tender. drain, cool. add cooled potatoes to mix of above and refrigerate immediately. keeps up to 4days. served cold.

INGREDIENTS:
3 lbs Red Potatoes
1 Small Onion
½ lb Bacon
¾ Cup Cider Vinegar
¼ Cup Olive Oil
¼ Cup water
2 TBLS SPOG style steak seasoning
1 tsp Sugar
2 TBLS Dill

DIRECTIONS:
Add 3 LBS Red Potatoes and ¼ Cup water to a covered Foil pan, cooked on the grill until fork tender.

Chop Bacon to a Fine to Medium size and Fry until crisp. Reserve 2 TBLS Bacon grease

Finely Dice onion and set aside

After Potatoes are fork tender, Slice into thin slices or chunks, Add Vinegar while still warm, let stand for a few minutes. Toss gently with the Dill, 1 TBLS Steak Seasoning, and Bacon grease. Add Bacon, , Onion, Olive Oil, Sugar and 1 TBLS Steak Seasoning.
Serve just above room temperature

My ex made a really good potato salad just like what you're looking for. The one thing I really liked about it was it didn't have any mustard. Best I can remember she used yukon golds and for every potato she used one boiled egg. Then it was Hellman's with some sugar but not too sweet and some apple cider vinegar. Then an onion chopped up really fine was added. She didn't use a lot of sauce so it wasn't runny.

This was served warm not refrigerated. Yes I know all about food safety but her family had been making it this way for years without any problems. That being said nothing wrong with refrigerating it just in case.

Oh and salt and pepper to taste.

We've never used a recipe but I can say that since we started using red potatoes we've haven't liked it with russets since. We used red potatoes, boiled eggs, black sliced olives, dill pickles, Best Foods mayo, yellow mustard, granulated garlic and onion, pickle juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper. We get raves when we make it. And by we I mean she lol. I suck at making potato salad.

Last edited:
I like a simple mayo, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar recipe where the potatoes are the main player. Hard boiled eggs, and cooked-crisp bacon are great additions. Onion and celery, too. Olive oil? No. I also mash up some hard boiled egg yolk to add to the mayo/vinegar wet part.

Nothing better than a nice potato salad at a cookout. I've made this several times and it's killer. I left out the pickle juice and used ground BP vs white. Give it a look see. Came from Peace, Love and BBQ. Good luck!

3 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
1 cup finely chopped onion
6 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and chopped
1 tablespoon celery seed
2 cups mayonnaise (she used Hellmann’s)
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons kosher salt, finely ground
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons pickle juice or pickle relish
Paprika or 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallion tops or chives (optional)

I used this cool feature called "Search" :becky: and found a lot that have been recommended in the past...
:shock: Well now there's more! :biggrin1: Besides I'm looking for specific kind...not the saucy sweet etc..

I did like Blu's and might incorporate some of that, like his and one I saw today it has a combination of sour cream and mayo.

I like a simple mayo, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar recipe where the potatoes are the main player. Hard boiled eggs, and cooked-crisp bacon are great additions. Onion and celery, too. Olive oil? No. I also mash up some hard boiled egg yolk to add to the mayo/vinegar wet part.
Yes simple but why no olive oil?

Bacon or bacon bits is sounding pretty good.

My ex made a really good potato salad just like what you're looking for. The one thing I really liked about it was it didn't have any mustard. Best I can remember she used yukon golds and for every potato she used one boiled egg. Then it was Hellman's with some sugar but not too sweet and some apple cider vinegar. Then an onion chopped up really fine was added. She didn't use a lot of sauce so it wasn't runny.

This was served warm not refrigerated. Yes I know all about food safety but her family had been making it this way for years without any problems. That being said nothing wrong with refrigerating it just in case.
I like the apple cider vinegar and no mustard... if i do mustard it won't have very much. I think I got turned off with eating PS growing up that was just overloaded with mayo and mustard. Sometimes less is MORE! LOL

Here's a tip for you. If you are using russet or yukon gold potatoes (red's dont need it due to their already waxy texture), add maybe 3 TBSP of vinegar to the water that you boil the potatoes in. The vinegar in the water helps the potatoes keep their shape. They will still be tender, but when you're mixing everything up, they won't turn out like mashed potatoes. I learned this from America's Test Kitchens when they were turning out a warm German potato salad. I've been doing it ever since with good results.

Here's a tip for you. If you are using russet or yukon gold potatoes (red's dont need it due to their already waxy texture), add maybe 3 TBSP of vinegar to the water that you boil the potatoes in. The vinegar in the water helps the potatoes keep their shape. They will still be tender, but when you're mixing everything up, they won't turn out like mashed potatoes. I learned this from America's Test Kitchens when they were turning out a warm German potato salad. I've been doing it ever since with good results.
It also helps to bake the potatoes instead of boiling them. Throw them on the grill during a previous cook, if you think of it, so they get some smoke.

My wife's new creation is fangasmical. Oriental sweet potato roasted in 1 inch cubes with coconut oil and pickled jalapeños are the secrets. Rest is conventional. You got egg, onion, garlic, celery, mayo n mustard. Salt n pepper. I think there might be cilantro involved too, but Im not sure. Sorry, we don't measure in my house.....:redface:......so only an ingredients list

Made it a couple of times....once did more pickled jalapeño juice in place of mustard....this version sounds up your alley based on mustard aversion :-D

The orientals are purple on outside white on inside in case you needed to know....this has an awesome spicy/sweet counterbalance and is kind of a novelty vs traditional tator salad.

Cube and roast the potatoes instead of boiling them. Then follow pretty much any recipe for dressing, eggs, seasoning etc. I can't remember the last time I made a boiled potato salad. They are still good and for very large groups it is easier to boil vs cut and roast that many potatoes in batches, but once I started roasting I never looked back. I also will roast onions and garlic with it too.

I follow the KISS methodology.. Keeping it simple.. no recipe per se
Boil potatoes, normally redskin
Leave skin on..
Cube to size preference
Mayo
Chopped Bacon
Celery seed
Green onion
Salt
Pepper

Done.. and it is ALWAYS a winner..

four (large) Idaho potatoes boiled then peeled and cubed (about the quarter inch cubes)
a dozen hard boiled eggs chopped (I like big pieces)
diced mount olive sweet petite pickles (about half of a 16 ounce jar, but you might like even more.)
One stalk celery diced (you can add moreof this to taste.)
a half to three fourths cup of mayo (add more if you want, but the intent is to be lightly coating.)
a couple tablespoons of yellow mustard
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Gonna make my own recipe from all this good info, so far this is what i got

1) Roast the taters
2) Gotta add some bacon in :thumb:
3) K.I.S.S.
4) Blending sour cream with the mayo..plus a little olive oil
5) Adding in celery seed

Back