Pork Shank / Pig Wing Help Needed

Mokena Mitch

Name or Nickame
Mitch
I've ordered pork shanks / pig wings in the past but they were precooked and frozen so I was really just heating them up in the smoker to ~160. Pretty simple. This week I decided to order some online and when I got them I realized they aren't precooked so I'm really not sure how to cook them or to what temperature.

The website suggests 2.5-3 hours at 375 in the oven. I was thinking of treating them like spare ribs and smoking them for 3 hours at 275 and foiling for 2 hours.

Does anyone have experience with these or have any recommendations? I searched for old posts couldn't find much on it. Any help would be appreciated!

https://www.secondcityprime.com/products/berkshire-pork-shank

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 115
I love pork shank, I treat them like they're a pork shoulder and smoke until probe tender. It's pretty easy to tell when they're done based on the pullback from the bone, though. Hard to judge how big those are but they usually take me 4-5 hours @ 275*

I love pork shank, I treat them like they're a pork shoulder and smoke until probe tender. It's pretty easy to tell when they're done based on the pullback from the bone, though. Hard to judge how big those are but they usually take me 4-5 hours @ 275*

Thanks - That's really helpful. They're about a pound each. I think 4-5 hours seems about right the more i think about it. Beef ribs would be quite a bit bigger than these shanks and they don't normally take longer than five and a half hours at 250.

I’m of no help, but a few weeks ago I ordered a bunch of pork from Heritage Berkshire and it’s all been amazing. Actually making double cut chops tonight, and a pork belly thus weekend.

Definitely interested in your results on these shanks as I was eyeing them as well.

I’m of no help, but a few weeks ago I ordered a bunch of pork from Heritage Berkshire and it’s all been amazing. Actually making double cut chops tonight, and a pork belly thus weekend.

Definitely interested in your results on these shanks as I was eyeing them as well.

Heritage Berkshire is expensive but well worth it. I'll be sure to post the results on this thread.

The shanks I buy are full size and come from Sysco or United are fresh, so I can cure them and smoke to cook in ham and beans or a German meal of sauerkraut and potatoes or whatever.

vEhbCYp.jpg

NoDPWGg.jpg

They can also be braised until super tender, or marinated and braised, or pressure cooked or whatever. This one in the second photo is sitting on a pile of mashed potatoes and gravy.

deKJLYN.jpg

GDSw94R.jpg

I get hog wings (which are hock ends) from the same people but they are pre-cooked so just need heated and glazed or served with a dipping sauce. We buy the large ones, but they come in small and medium sizes.

That was your cook I linked too, that last picture you posted is very appealing

They came out pretty good for MSU wingin’ it, despite the “cafeteria yellow” gravy! I’ve been hankering for pork shank again so this is a timely thread. I need to go buy some more.

These guys are pretty big and not precooked and I think they're going to act and taste more like a shoulder. I'm not going to inject which my instincts are leaning towards since a shoulder, in my opinion, really needs it but I've thought about it more than I'd like to admit.

I'm thinking more of a dry brine (rub a few hours before putting them on) at this point to make sure we penetrate (football word) more than a typical rib rub. I'm hoping they'll be done around 4-5 hours but who really cares because I'm not on a timeline these days because I have literally nothing to do lately.

Game Plan: I'm going to smoke for 2.5 - 3 hours (depending on color and temp (165 max of smoke)) to get plenty of smoke (50/50 cherry, pecan) on them then wrap in a typical rib rub and wrap. Normally I'd do SPG and Vinegar sauce on them to get the real flavor but can't resist competition rib rubs and sauces. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I’d go for a more savory flavor rub, personally. The meat on them is pretty “rich” compared to other cuts on the pig.

Back