Top of Round Beef Roast

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to all, I recently purchased two top of round beef roast each of them weighing a little over 2.5 pounds. They are cut about 1.5" thick. This is a flat roast similar to a chuck roast with the grain running vertically to the length of the roast. There is very little fat content to these roasts. I have done a little searching on the interweb for a recipe or cooking technique. Most of the sources I have found state you should cook to medium rare and slice thin for sandwiches. Who ever wrote these instructions must be a LOT better with their knife skills than I am as if I am going to cut across the grain, the slicing area is only 1.5" thick.

Since there is little fat in these roasts, I am not sure if this roast is suitable for cooking to a pulling temperature. I am afraid the roast will dry out and be tougher than Bolean algebra. I paid $2.77 per pound for these things and I am almost tempted to throw them in with the venison from this years deer season I plan on grinding next weekend.

Any suggestions from you folks?

Lager,

Juggy

Unless you have a deli slicer, I'd chunk 'em up for slow or pressure cooked beef stew or beef veggie soup or chili.

Matter of fact, I just did that recently with a whole eye of round loin - roasted 1/3 to medium rare and sliced thin, chunked another 1/3 for beef veggie stew, and chunked up the other 1/3 for chili. Well, not all at once; there was a week or two between each cook.

In my area, I usually see these roasts in larger sizes that get sliced with a electric slicer.

Yo Earl, I have never seen a top round roast cut in this fashion either. If that roast was six to eight inches thick instead of one and one-half inch thick, I would not be asking how to cook this "roast". That is what happens when you don't pay attention and get in a hurry to get out of the store. Thought I was getting a good deal on some lean chuck roast. I don't buy chucks very often either......

I smoke like a prime rib at 300 to 400, cook till 135, . Then if you have a meat slicer thinly slice or cut as then as possible with a good sharp knife. We make french dips out of it or philley cheese steaks. Also works good to make beef jerky out of.

I actually cooked one of these last week in the Crock Pot. Mississippi pot roast style. It was a 3lb yellow tag special I had in the freezer. The beef sandwiches were excellent.

I smoke them and use a slicer to cut very thin slices for sammitches.

Makes for a mean dip on bread with some good gravy. :-D

zsE1R2th.jpg

Juggy, I'm late to the game... but top round is what most meatcutters in my neck of the world label as London Broil, and they slice them 1.5" thick, and they are in the 2.5 to 3 pound range. these are awesome for jerky, and a couple of months ago I put one in a sous vide bath and it came out great when sliced for sandwiches.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and information. I had my mind made up to make jerky with the roasts and then Wayne's post convinced me to go that route. That flat cut being uniform should make easy slicing for jerky. It's been a few years since I have cooked jerky and I need to cook some practice jerky before I cook a bunch of deer jerky. I can always buy more beef if I mess up. I can't buy venison.

Lager,

Juggy

If you are able to slice them in half so down to about 3/4" you can then cut on a bias for strips and it makes for stroganoff and stir fry

Back