Pork Butt Rub Question

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Is it okay to leave rub on raw pork butt for 12 hours, in the fridge? If so, should I cover it with plastic wrap or leave it exposed to the air in the fridge?

In the past I've usually rubbed them down and throw in fridge for perhaps an hour or two. But I want to start the cook later on today.

Hello bbqgeekess,

I'm no expert but I don't see any problem with that. As a matter of fact I think a lot of people do that.

It would serve as a dry brine. I would wrap in tightly in plastic cling wrap. You're not trying to dry out the skin like on poultry.

Some say a longer dry brine can give pork a ham like quality. Myron Mixon calms it pulls out more moisture than is reabsorbed so he doesn't recommend it.

My go to technique is to take it out of fridge, towel off excess moisture, apply rub and let it melt in as meat gradually comes up towards room temp (I'm not concerned about smoke ring) as I get fire started. Just before I put in the pit I re-apply to tough up the rub. I've never had a pork butt taste over seasoned. Poultry, most def, but not butt.

Good luck and have fun.

JD

I've done it before, especially if I'm trying to save time/effort in the morning when I'm starting up the smoker and staging the food to go on. I would wrap or cover in plastic wrap, and if you need to, do a quick touch up of rub right before they go on. When I pre-season, I usually tightly wrap in plastic and refrigerate until I'm ready.

Thanks for the advice.

I am cooking up some pork butts for my nephew so he can save money bringing lunch to work instead of paying $8 there every day for lunch.

Going to pull it, add Shack Attack, portion it into 1/2 lb and wrap in plastic wrap. He'll just bring a frozen 1/2 pound portion to work and microwave it in a bowl there. He'll also bring some buns and bbq sauce. Should be quick and easy, and tasty lunch each time.

I figure it will cost him around $1.50 per meal this way.

He's going to pay me what it cost for the meat, seasonings, charcoal, wood chunks and ingredients to make shack attack. Not charging him for my time since I'm cooking one for here at home as well.

EDIT: the rub is cheap .. just kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika. All $1 spices at aldi.. i get the black pepper (Tone's brand) at Sam's in large bottle.

Different take. I slather with CYM first, then applythe rub. I either use salt/pepper/garlic powder or Plowboy's Yardbird. I rub the roast in a hotel pan. Then I foil and refrigerate for at least 10 hours, would have no worry about going longer. If you're worried about the meat getting dried out from the rub, inject it with some warmed-up lard.

If there are any issues it will more likely be from reheating in a microwave rather than in the cook. But probably it will all go great.

seattlepitboss

Is it okay to leave rub on raw pork butt for 12 hours, in the fridge? If so, should I cover it with plastic wrap or leave it exposed to the air in the fridge?

In the past I've usually rubbed them down and throw in fridge for perhaps an hour or two. But I want to start the cook later on today.

I leave brined-then-rubbed Butts in the fridge uncovered overnight quite often. Never had an issue.

I rub at the time I'm firing up my smoker. It sits about an hour before I put it in to cook.

I've tried overnight rubs, but I'm not a huge fan of the gooey mess you get.

Works for me, YMMV.

Well it ended up raining yesterday unexpectedly so, the rub has been on the meat for liek 28 hours now :) So we'll see how it goes :) Maybe it will be a gooey hammy yummy mess :) Pit is fired up now.. getting it to temp.

Thanks for the advice.

I am cooking up some pork butts for my nephew so he can save money bringing lunch to work instead of paying $8 there every day for lunch.

Going to pull it, add Shack Attack, portion it into 1/2 lb and wrap in plastic wrap. He'll just bring a frozen 1/2 pound portion to work and microwave it in a bowl there. He'll also bring some buns and bbq sauce. Should be quick and easy, and tasty lunch each time.

I figure it will cost him around $1.50 per meal this way.

My Kids use a Stainless 14oz Thermos wide mouth food jar. Heat the food at home and then you're nephew isn't dependent on the microwave. Eat outside, eat in the car, pretty much anywhere. Holds plenty for two sandwiches, or bring stew, soup, chili, chicken nuggets, cut up sausage.
The containers aren't exactly cheap - but they make lunchtime easier, especially if you want to eat away from the company breakroom with the shared microwave.

My Kids use a Stainless 14oz Thermos wide mouth food jar. Heat the food at home and then you're nephew isn't dependent on the microwave. Eat outside, eat in the car, pretty much anywhere. Holds plenty for two sandwiches, or bring stew, soup, chili, chicken nuggets, cut up sausage.
The containers aren't exactly cheap - but they make lunchtime easier, especially if you want to eat away from the company breakroom with the shared microwave.

Yeah I bought one of these thermos for my BF a couple years back. I was making him stew all the time to take to work.

I forget, when do I foil the pork butt, at 165F internal? I am going to bring in from the outside at 140-145F and stick in a pan and finish indoors in oven.. that's how I usually do it to save bbq fuel and it tastes great every time. So it'll be in a pan at 140F inside.. do I cook to 165F in the oven and then cover it after it gets 165F? I'll cook until it probes like butter and the bone pulls out easy -- usually around 205F.

I would combine the two acts - move and foil at the same time, since you're picking it up - wrap it. I don't think it will change the food much either way. I usually wrap in peach paper at 160.

Cool :) I wrapped in paper once, was sort of messy. Leaking etc. I was using kraft paper.

I just usually put it in a pan and then cover the pan with a layer of foil, pinching the foil along the pan.

Roasts are now 160F internal. Added in some shack attack to the pan and foiled. Back into the oven. Smells good :) Been a while since I BBQ'd.

uc

Well, how did it turn out?

Probed buttery smooth, bone pulled out with the lightest of tugs, juicy, moist, porky, big smoke ring, lovely bbq smell & flavor, & melts in the mouth :) Perfect :) I've never had a bad pork butt for some reason, they always turn out perfect.. like foolproof. Very forgiving.

EDIT: Oh and the tangy peppery flavor from Shack Attack adds a lot as well.. subtley sweet I guess from the apple cider vinegar.

Last edited:
Back