Please talk me into/out of jumping into making my own sausage/burgers/etc

Buy a book... Do some research... Check websites, i got my equiptment from cabelas on sale... Try your buddies homemade eastern european links... If you like the product and can afford the inital investment... Go for it, you will not be sorry(except when friends and damily want you to make them some)

1) Yes, it tastes better.

2) You will be able to make it at a cheaper cost per pound of ingredients but it will take a while to recoup equipment costs.

3) I recommend electric.

Now, all that said, You should absolutely do it!!
I started this with a hand grinder picked up at a hardware store for $20. Now I've got about 2K in equipment. If it were me starting again, I'd get the Kitchen Aid grinding attachment and a 5# stuffer. That is all you need to make it very enjoyable. If you are a hunter, you will save a lot of money over store bought sausage. I can make venison sausage for $1 lb. store bought at $4-5 lb. but once you make your first batch, you won't care whether you're saving money or not, it tastes that much better!!! Plus....It's a lot of fun nd very rewarding.

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas is a book I would recommend to someone starting out as well as a seasoned pro. Lots of good information and recipes.

51HsqN0YTgL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

I use an ancient Hobart mixer to grind meat, and I do get the pieces really cold before I start. Not sure that it saves me any money, but I love knowing exactly what ingredients are in my burgers and sausage patties. No pink slime here! :wink:

Back