Pizza help needed

dump the crappy crust.. and the steel.. get a ceramic stone... the steel gets too hot (with hot spots)and does not draw moisture from the dough.. a ceramic stone will draw moisture, and give more even heat.

can you go to a local pizzaria and buy a few doughballs from them.??

i cook at 550 in the chamber.. put the stone in and let it preheat with the chamber. stone should be around 400. throw some course ground corn meal on the stone before you put the pizza on it.

heeres some pizzas done in my BGE

P7040504.jpg

P7040506.jpg

P7040508.jpg

IMG00030-20091214-1724_zpsetmgjzut.jpg

IMG_13571.jpg

This is what I used yesterday with Rao's and fatty topping..

Attachments

• Memorial Day 52917 033.jpg
    Memorial Day 52917 033.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Memorial Day 52917 032.jpg
    Memorial Day 52917 032.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 32
I've finally gotten my process down with the KJ. Took alot of failed attempts to get there. The key was to settled the dome temp at 450 instead of 700+, and to have my adjustable rig extension set up right. I put one throw away cheap pizza stone mid way up the rack, and then put the rig extender up in the dome, and place the nicer KJ pizza stone up there. There is more than a couple of inches space between the stones. Plus, the cooking is happening so high in the dome, there is some radiant heat bouncing off the dome to cook the top while the ceramic stone sucks the moisture out of the bottom of the crust.

The latest add, which has been huge, is assembling the pizza on a wooden peel covered in parchment paper. Then there is no race against time where the pizza is assembled but then sticks to the peel AND you don't have to load up the stone with corn meal. That works too, but after the 2nd pizza- you are stuck with burned corn meal on the bottom of your 3rd/4th pizza. This way, you slide the pie onto the stone still on parchment, let it set up for a couple of minutes, and then you can slide it out and let the crust continue to leopard/cook.

Last tip is to keep the daisy wheel only about a sliver open (and the holes wide open). You want to have it stay hot but let the heat sort of swirl around in the dome before it escapes.

As for dough- I've made my own using a recipe off pizzamaking forum, but frankly a pre-made own from Trader Joes yields good results without having to work it all throughout the day.

Back