THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
John
First fire with the new Ooni. :-D

I scrounged some wood scraps to put over my plastic table for a heat shield. The bottom of this doesn't get overly hot, but the sides and top get screamin' hot:

GKs7urHh.jpg

I used store bought dough for the first cook. I didn't want to introduce too many variables for the first cook. Two 1 pound dough balls made 4 pies. I kept the size small for the first cook, and wasn't too concerned about getting the pies perfectly round. Ooni provides a dough recipe meant for this cooker, and I plan to make my own dough in the future. First pie ready to go:

SZFdf5ih.jpg

Just a little singe - 20 seconds, rotate, repeat every 20 seconds for a minute. This little beast cooks quickly:

ICPVO78h.jpg

The next pie is salami slices. I got distracted and lost count on time and scorched one side:

LPImuQuh.jpg

Next up is a Caprese pie for my wife - sauce, tomatoes, mozzarella slices and fresh basil once it's done:

MzqZ9mIh.jpg

The last pie was pepperoni and cappocollo. I nailed this one:

uMTUkqvh.jpg

Group shot:

WmRVtPWh.jpg

It was fun cooking and I'm impressed with how well this oven works. I very soon discovered that this isn't a cooker to stand around jawing and drinking beer. It's very fast paced. :-D

I can't wait to have my grand kids over for pizza night - they build 'em, I'll cook 'em. They'll have a ball. :-D

Yes, John!

Great to see you join the UUNI/OONI family!

There's time to drink beer during the pizza prep & oven preheat phase.... but you'd better set that aside when it's time to cook 'em.

Those are some great looking pies, brother. I see lots of great adventures in your future.

I’ve thought of buying one for that exact reason. Thanks for contributing to my bbq/cooking spending. :)

Kevin, I'm always happy to spread the corruption. :-D

My grand kids were a prime factor in getting this Ooni. I'm looking for new ways to engage them.

They love pizza, as kids do. All I have to do is have the dough and ingredients ready and they can build away with very fast results.

I will need another peel to expedite the process - one peel cooking, one in the kitchen building......as I sprint outside and back to cook. :-D

You are going to love all that pizza! We have had great success using the Ooni 00 dough recipe. It’s a little more forgiving. We use a wooden peel for putting the pizza on and an aluminum one for turning and removal.

Yes, John!

Great to see you join the UUNI/OONI family!

There's time to drink beer during the pizza prep & oven preheat phase.... but you'd better set that aside when it's time to cook 'em.

Those are some great looking pies, brother. I see lots of great adventures in your future.

Thanks, Marc! :-D

I'm pretty happy with my first cook. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

I was surprised at just how hot this oven gets.

I have an Ooni sizzler pan, and I plan to explore that in the near future.

Those pizzas look great, what kind of temps you get with that?

We have the Blackstone pizza oven that we love, 700° on the stone, 1000° air temp, made 7 pizzas on Christmas day for the family, lots of good times making pizza.

Last edited:
Back