Stickbit - those are fine birds for a first cook! I'd take a half myself! I think the chunks are fine, in moderation.

Bugsy - fine looking turkey no matter which side is up! That chimney looks like a good one, too. lots of ventilation.

Whats up guys? Been reading this thread for months and finally got around to registering. Been a big PBC for couple yrs and finally bought one this past June. Only had time to do ribs and chicken but they came out pretty good. (1st cook - chicken pic attached)

Looking forward to boston butt, turkey, and wings over the holidays.

Talked to PBC rep as I felt my PBC was running a bit hot and she recommended using less charcoal (30) and dropping coals sooner. We talked about wodo chunks and she actually recommended chips as she was thinking chunks would make it run hotter...but I see everyone uses chunks....figure I'm ok continuing?

Welcome to the club stickbit!

When you say your PBC was running hot, you mind if I ask what temp you were hitting and what temp you are wanting to hit?
As far as chips or chunks? I'd stick with chunks, but you only need 2 or 3. I don't think the wood chunks are causing you to run hot. Lighting too much coal can though.

So whats on for the weekend fellers? I got me a bone in leg of lamb, rubbing it with adobo, wrapping in banana leaves and doing barbacoa tacos tomorrow. Will be using oak lump, will keep you guys posted!

So whats on for the weekend fellers? I got me a bone in leg of lamb, rubbing it with adobo, wrapping in banana leaves and doing barbacoa tacos tomorrow. Will be using oak lump, will keep you guys posted!

Sounds great. I hope you drill through the bone to hank it like Noah does in the video! It just looks so cool! Looking forward to some pics. Not sure if I'll be firing up the PBC this weekend or not.

Welcome to the club stickbit!

When you say your PBC was running hot, you mind if I ask what temp you were hitting and what temp you are wanting to hit?
As far as chips or chunks? I'd stick with chunks, but you only need 2 or 3. I don't think the wood chunks are causing you to run hot. Lighting too much coal can though.

I was expecting to be closer to 275 ...and it would start around 250-275 but steadily climb to 320-330 (approx). Customer service suggested starting with 30 briquettes instead of 40....and dropping the lit coals sooner...closer to 13-15 mins.

How many coals were you lighting? 30 may be too few.
Also one simple thing you can do is very slightly close your intake. Just a tiny bit could keep your temps down to 275°-300.

As far as initially lighting, don't worry about how long your chimney has been lit, just make sure all the coals are pretty much glowing. Then dump them in, close the lid, and wait at least 15-20 min before putting any food in.

First couple cooks on pbc

I picked up a near new pbc with turkey hanger for $150 and it's one of my best expenditures. Tried ribs and chicken first. Ribs were great and chicken (didit whole) was juicy, but had a bit if a charcoal taste. It was a good sized bird, so may have dripped a bit too much fat.

Second cook was a 8 lb butt and might be the best I've ever done...certainly in the top two. Amazing bark and juicy succulent meat. Still getting used to not knowing barrel temp, but I watch the meat i.t. And am delighted. Looking forward to trying a brisket.
Regards,
Hibuck...

While cool, I don't think the grill grates will be beneficial to the PBC Andrew. I have them but you need very high or searing temps in order to gain from the grill grates and the fire basket sits way too low in the PBC. Unless you raise it of course.

Grill Grates comes to PBC!

Yes the popular grate used to search steaks and other meat now has a design for the PBC. Check it out...

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/grillgrate

While cool, I don't think the grill grates will be beneficial for the PBC Andrew. I have them but you need very high or searing temps in order to gain from the grill grates and the fire basket sits way too low in the PBC. Unless you raise it of course.

Hhmmm that's interesting....I'd be interested in seeing if Noah has tested them out. Do you think that grate was made for the PBC or you think it was just an 18" version Noah decided to sell?
I've never used them but I have tried to sear in the PBC without raising the grate and it was pretty hard. I think the best I could get was just under 500° grate temp.
How hot do you think those need to be to get a good sear on a steak?

Hhmmm that's interesting....I'd be interested in seeing if Noah has tested them out. Do you think that grate was made for the PBC or you think it was just an 18" version Noah decided to sell?
I've never used them but I have tried to sear in the PBC without raising the grate and it was pretty hard. I think the best I could get was just under 500° grate temp.
How hot do you think those need to be to get a good sear on a steak?

I'm thinking it is made specifically for the PBC but I could be wrong. Exactly what you said, the PBC just doesn't get that hot and those are the temps I've gotten on the PBC also. You need to be min 600-800* + in my experience. You can flip them over and use the flat side as a griddle but that's not what it's intended for.

Just my 2 cents

I'm thinking it is made specifically for the PBC but I could be wrong. Exactly what you said, the PBC just doesn't get that hot and those are the temps I've gotten on the PBC also. You need to be min 600-800* + in my experience. You can flip them over and use the flat side as a griddle but that's not what it's intended for.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks! Now I just gotta talk someone into to buying and testing it out for us...lol. At $65 it won't be me. I use other means for searing. That's not the PBC's strong point for sure. :becky:

Thanks! Now I just gotta talk someone into to buying and testing it out for us...lol. At $65 it won't be me. I use other means for searing. That's not the PBC's strong point for sure. :becky:

I've got set so I'm willing to try. :mrgreen: And it's the 18" that I bought for my kamado and should fit on the PBC. Didn't dawn on me until now. lol

You got it. Just give me some time. Probably after Christmas when I take a vacation.

Well, my kamado 18" version just about fits. Again, I don't anticipate any real benefits but I'll give it a go.

baWUTBAh.jpg

Surely there's a TD you can do in conjunction with this test! Lol

Not a bad idea bud!:mrgreen: :thumb: There is a beef TD going all month long.

This pic below is an example of how hot to get the full grill grate affect. I'm easily at 800-900 on my gasser here. PBC can't get there like I said unless you raise the FB.

Xd1kHCOh.jpg

Another pic in my offset and notice how close I've put the coals to the gg's. It still wan't nearly enough.

UpusTJCh.jpg

BTW, not even knocking on the grill grates. They're the real deal and a great product. They just need that umph!

I didn't take it that way. I've heard nothing but good things about those grates. I was hoping they would actually help the PBC get a good sear.
Noah usually does a good job testing products before he puts them for sale on the PBC web site. That's why I was looking for a real world test. I trust your opinion on just about anything when it comes to cooking! If you can't get it to work it ain't gonna work! :thumb:

Back