THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew is giving the PBC a workout today. Great looking wings and looking forward to seeing the final rib pics. I'm planning on doing a 9lb butt on Labor Day. Thinking of running it naked for the entire cook on the grate.

PBC in full gear today. Naked and Stuffed Fatty and chicken halves first. Salmon and ABTs to come.

Here is the pron on the fatties.

Started with red peppers and onions. Sautéed in butter with chipotle and granulated garlic.

Stuffed in the fatty with smoked gouda.

Dusted with rub and ready to smoke.

Sliced. Turned out excellent.

Thinking of doing a pork butt this weekend - has anyone ever hung the entire time or do you need to wrap at 165F until 195F ish?

Per my post right before yours I'm going to try a pork butt Monday without wrapping. My plans are to cook it on the grate the entire time. Afraid it might fall off the hooks if I hung it until it's done, which is when it reaches probe tender and the bone pulls out clean.

Wrapping is not required but it does speed up the cook time and gives you a chance to add the liquid of your choice. Some say it will make for a juicier end product.

All my prior butt cooks have been wrapped around 170 and have tuned out great. Just thought I would try something different see if it like the bark better.

Best of luck on your cook!

Nice work today Sportster!

I decided I want my ribs over done....lol. so I decided to unhang them and put them on the rack. I've only got a tiny bit of coal left (as seen in the pic) burning so it's almost "done".......I bet they will be good though!

Forgot to mention, they are rubbed with KosmoQs Killer Bee

Attachments

Per my post right before yours I'm going to try a pork butt Monday without wrapping. My plans are to cook it on the grate the entire time. Afraid it might fall off the hooks if I hung it until it's done, which is when it reaches probe tender and the bone pulls out clean.

Wrapping is not required but it does speed up the cook time and gives you a chance to add the liquid of your choice. Some say it will make for a juicier end product.

All my prior butt cooks have been wrapped around 170 and have tuned out great. Just thought I would try something different see if it like the bark better.

Best of luck on your cook!

Thanks Bob - I'll try on the grate too as I want to multi task and cook other stuff the same time. Any guesses how long it will take if it would be about 5hrs wrapped?

Ribs are done! Turned out just like I wanted. Big, beefy....uuhhh I mean porky, unsauced, nearly fall off the bone, spares. These thing are BIG. Pics dont show it much.....Never made them like this before. The killer bee rub doesn't over power the pork flavor of the ribs which is nice.

Attachments

Nice Andrew! Maybe next time I won't trim up the spare ribs and cook them whole too (at least one of them anyways.

Thanks! Usually I trim them. But I was wanting to be simple today since there was a lot of football to watch. At least my cook turned out good. Cause my team looked like a word that rhymes with spit! :tsk:

Thanks Bob - I'll try on the grate too as I want to multi task and cook other stuff the same time. Any guesses how long it will take if it would be about 5hrs wrapped?

Great question. Since this will be my first time unwrapped not sure how much longer. I am planning on starting really early on Monday and since you can wrap in foil and place in a cooler for several hours, it's better to start earlier rather than later.

Wow. So many good things smoking here.
Last Sunday all I cooked were these taters. Son brought a butt someone else cooked. Was good. Everybody likes smoked taters, both sweet and russet.
Tomorrow am going to cook two tri tips and corn on the cob.

Attachments

Andrew you know you didn't trim them cause you couldn't keep the tears out of your eyes from watching Houston make OU look like they were playing their second string. ��

Andrew you know you didn't trim them cause you couldn't keep the tears out of your eyes from watching Houston make OU look like they were playing their second string. ��

Yeah Yeah! Stop telling my secrets....oh and reminding me that today actually happened....:tsk:

:becky:

Great question. Since this will be my first time unwrapped not sure how much longer. I am planning on starting really early on Monday and since you can wrap in foil and place in a cooler for several hours, it's better to start earlier rather than later.

Well - I'm cooking tomorrow so I'll let you know what happens...

Hello! I'm a total bbq newbie. Had a Weber gas grill for years, but didn't really know what I was doing. I got my PBC a few weeks ago, and just now FINALLY made it through this whole thread. I feel like I just took a class in BBQ, so thank you.

I've already cooked a few things, with varying success. I jumped right in with a pork butt, don't think I started the coals properly, and as I've learned in this thread...that is the key.

Today I am cooking 2 beef plates...my biggest cook. Roughly 11 pounds total. I am thinking 6-7 hours, shooting for 275 cook temp. Gonna fire it up in an hour or so!

image_zpsyop1cmol.jpeg

Nothin special, just some wings for the game........Boooomer! SOOOONER!

:thumb::becky:

Edit: a rare time I don't monitor temps.....I'll be putting ribs on later. A temp probe will be used for that cook....lol

It's hard to see is that cook with one rod out?

Back