I got a little too aggressive on my spatchcock cuts so I just halved it and took the legs off. A short bath in some orange chili ponzu and lime juice was followed with some yardbird rub.

I did the same thing Sunday. I thought that I would try cutting the rib bones out after spatchcocking and as a result it was apparent that they weren't suitable for hanging as halves. They nevertheless cooked up real good.

PBC noobie here.

Just got mine two weeks ago and have managed two cooks so far.
First was three Baby Back Ribs, one just natural, one using the rub they sent with it, and one with BBQ sauce. Sorry did not get any after pics. Got them in the house and had to fight family off. All were great. Also put baked potatoes on grate. Everyone liked the smoked taters too.

Sunday cooked three split chickens and a couple of quarters. Some basted with just butter and lemon. Others with BBQ sauce. Turned out very good.

Jim

Attachments

• Baby Back Ribsa.jpg
    Baby Back Ribsa.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Chick2a.jpg
    Chick2a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Chick1a.jpg
    Chick1a.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 183
Good Ideas

Sporster, if you search through this thread there are several discussions about using the half basket with fire bricks. I've posted several pictures as I use the method often. I would post more for you but unfortunately I lost all my pictures on my phone. I'll check the computer and photobucket.
If you have any questions let me know..

Edit: I found these.....
This method for 3-4 hour cooks:
attachment.php

Light the same amount of coal as usual and dump over.

This method for 2-2 1/2 hour cooks
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good idea. Dang, now I have to find fire bricks, a Kingsford smoker dome, some square tubing, copying all of you guys great ideas. I already have a Weber grill grate and some expanded metal. Lot of mods to do.

Today's project

image.jpgso I was at SAMs club and saw this 12.5 lb sirloin chub / roast and thought : roast beef sandwiches. So it jumped into the cart.along with a pork belly that got cut in half. One half of the belly was marinated in teriyaki glaze and sow sauce. The other just rubbed with my pork rub. The beef was rubbed with the PBC beef rub and black pepper.

One of the bellys

image.jpg
I took a cue from one of the brethren here and put hoisin sauce on a pack of split Hawaiian rools and sliced up the teriyaki glazed belly and added chopped green onion. I did the same with the BBQ rub but used my amazing ribs BBQ sauce. That was dinner and sent some of the sliders to work with a friend to share with the ER crew.

Tomorrow's plan is to PBC some chicken to freeze after pulling for quick meals. While I slice the roast and vacuumed seal some of it as well. I already bought some horseradish sauce and ciabatta rolls.

Wow I'm drooling like Pavlov's dog! ::mrgreen:

I'm sad since all my food from my weekend cook is basically gone...looking at all these posts is torture.

I couldn't cook last weekend and head to Hawaii for a week on Thursday...I'm all bummed out because that will be two weekends in a row without cooking even though I'll be in Hawaii.

Just going to have to come back with a vengeance on Labor Day.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best skewers to use with the PBC? I looked at the grill beast ones, but people say they bend easily. I want some that will last a long time and be able to hang from the bars

Smoked some chicken quarters and now I'm sipping on Macallan 12yo single malt. Wife loved the chicken & I'm loving this scotch! Chicken was good too.

I did the same thing Sunday. I thought that I would try cutting the rib bones out after spatchcocking and as a result it was apparent that they weren't suitable for hanging as halves. They nevertheless cooked up real good.

Yup...hard for us to mess up chicken in the PBC. Always turns out great!

Anyone have a suggestion for the best skewers to use with the PBC? I looked at the grill beast ones, but people say they bend easily. I want some that will last a long time and be able to hang from the bars

I just bought these. They seem to be good quality and hung at the right length. I did have a problem with wings sliding off into the pit. Saw a couple earlier posts about using metal binder clips or drilling a hole at the bottom for a cotter pin setup. Will have to try that next time.

BBQ Skewers,X-Chef 17-inch Stainless Steel Barbecue Grill Stick Skewers Set of 6 [ame="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013QMNS8O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hzrVxb4EZB86H"]Amazon.com : BBQ Skewers, X-Chef 17-inch Stainless Steel Barbecue Grill Stick Skewers Set of 6 : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

First Brisket .....and a band-aid

Fired up a 13.5lb prime full packer brisket.

Trimed it up and got a huge amount of fat. I didn't weigh it but it must have been at least 2.5 lbs. Also had an accident with the knife. More on that later.

After the trim

Fat disposal

Rubbed it with olive oil and used the PBC Beef and Game Rub. Two hooks using Noah's method with one in front and one in back.

On the pit and initially settled about 315 but then continually dropped over the next 3 hours down to 250. Every time I would crack the lid, bring it to 310 again and cover. Then it would do the slow decline to 250 again. It was 165 at 4 hours.

Pulled it and wrapped it in foil. Still need to get butcher's paper to try bludawgs full method. Used Noah's suggestion of adding 1/2 cup of beef broth but think that made it too wet. Next time I skip that step.

After another 3 hours it was around 205 but the flat wasn't tender. Checked every 20 min and finally pulled it as the pit was winding down to 225 and below at the time. Threw it in the oven at 250 for about 30 min and then into the cooler for 45 min. At that point I had to leave the house so pulled it and tried a piece. Great flavor and color. Too soft with all the liquid and falling apart. But tastes great.

Oh and the finger? Now sitting in the ER waiting to see a doc. Got the bleeding stopped but banged it a few times throughout the day and each time it bled like crazy again. Wife is home with that brisket. Hope she saves me some.

PBC fired up for a special assignment. :becky:

Homemade Jagerwurst (Hunter sausage)

dzV5KxSh.jpg

7HRZ2IEh.jpg

c49IEpZh.jpg

160-180* is ideal and so far so good

cS2rEiXh.jpg

And finished. It burnt a median temp of 171 for 4.5 hours to reach 150*IT. Total charcoal used was 2.5lbs of Stubbs.

ph12Sazh.jpg

muJPLeKh.jpg

Taste test :thumb:

1bGLCqZh.jpg

Last edited:
Sporster, I think you probably over cooked the brisket a little. Also if your temps are dropping you should probably open your intake just slightly. Oh and good luck with the finger. I cut mine once and the ER superglued it....lol. Hey its better than getting it stitched up! :becky:

Brisket looked great! :thumb:

Then we have Sako showin off his sausage :heh:

Andrew. Agreed it went too long but the flat wasnt tender in the thickest part. I think that liquid had something to do with it too. And by the way I did open the intake a bit more today. Had been having issues getting over 250. Now it gets to 310 but slowly drops.

Just have to keep practicing. With the knife and the PVC.

Andrew. Agreed it went too long but the flat wasnt tender in the thickest part. I think that liquid had something to do with it too. And by the way I did open the intake a bit more today. Had been having issues getting over 250. Now it gets to 310 but slowly drops.

Just have to keep practicing. With the knife and the PVC.

Yeah it just takes a little practice. You'll get it.
I didn't notice on the first read that you used beef broth. For what it's worth I don't add liquid to brisket when I wrap them. There's always been plenty of juice from the meat when it's done anyway. I bet you'll like it better without adding the broth like you mentioned.

Back