THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i want to try tacos al pastor exactly like this recipe

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224508

any hanger recs to make this on the pbc? dont see how the hooks can make this work

He made his own hanger. The same hanger would work on the PBC.

really don't have one, Sorry. I can give you some insight on how I made mine, but beyond that, I got nothin'.

Here's the thread on how I made mine, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do something similar. Just cut to length. A jig saw with a metal blade will get it done.

This is the flat metal I bought. Just order in the length you need.. I think mine were 24" and I cut 2" off...

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-1711-...d-pickled.aspx

Then I bought some of this rod to make the pins..

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-1840-...-annealed.aspx

Then you just need a little piece of plate. Doesn't have to be much.. Heck, you could probably use an old alum pan or something for the bottom...

Sorry, hope this helps

I did make a few of those for my flat skewers. I am lucky to have a funky electronic/military/aerospace surplus store a few blocks away where I bought some stainless brackets as well as stainless nuts and bolts to connect them (sandwiching the skewer).

skewer-clamp1.jpg

skewer-clamp2.jpg

I will be using them soon due to Shagdog's Tacos Al Pastor thead!

I use a 16 inch pizza crisper pan (the type with holes in the bottom) when I do pies in the PBC. Does not need preheating like a stone and does a great job on the crust. When it's time to pull it I put on heavy duty gloves and pull off the grate and pan and set on my kitchen stove. Since the coals are further away than with the Kettle much less chance of burning the crust and the toppings have time to heat up. I let the coals heat up pretty good before I put on the pizza. Does not get as hot as a ceramic cooker but we are happy with the flavor and crispy crust.

What do you do with the lid here Bob?

I did make a few of those for my flat skewers. I am lucky to have a funky electronic/military/aerospace surplus store a few blocks away where I bought some stainless brackets as well as stainless nuts and bolts to connect them (sandwiching the skewer).

skewer-clamp1.jpg

skewer-clamp2.jpg

I will be using them soon due to Shagdog's Tacos Al Pastor thead!

So do you take the bottom off, put the food on then screw the bottom plate thing back on? Just wondering how you get everything on and off. I like what you did though!

I load the skewer as the cook requires, then slide the bottom assembly on and tighten the bolts. I kinda like Shagdog's solution of drilling a hole in the skewer and inserting a pin, but I didn't want to drill my nice, new skewers. It is a bit awkward to handle a hot skewer of food while unscrewing two tiny bolts!

I load the skewer as the cook requires, then slide the bottom assembly on and tighten the bolts. I kinda like Shagdog's solution of drilling a hole in the skewer and inserting a pin, but I didn't want to drill my nice, new skewers. It is a bit awkward to handle a hot skewer of food while unscrewing two tiny bolts!

Cool! What all have you cooked with them?

I haven't used them for anything spectacular yet. I have done baked potato, brussels sprouts, wings, ABTs and moinks ... just sides and appetizer stuff while the main dish is hanging.

Decided to take the day off today - upper 70s and sunny in Houston.

Three racks of St. Louis style on the PBC at 1:30.

Two were PBC Beef & Game, one a mix of Beef & Game and Oakridge Crucible.

All came out amazing. The heat from the Crucible really escalates after you're done. I'm a big fan!

Just a couple pics - sorry there aren't more, but we dug in pretty quick.

The triple hook was to distinguish the Crucible from the regular (the wife didn't want to risk it)
IMG_20160219_144809_zps7tl5x59v.jpg

IMG_20160219_172349_zpsj0sklrxg.jpg

happy Friday!

Decided to take the day off today - upper 70s and sunny in Houston.

Three racks of St. Louis style on the PBC at 1:30.

Two were PBC Beef & Game, one a mix of Beef & Game and Oakridge Crucible.

All came out amazing. The heat from the Crucible really escalates after you're done. I'm a big fan!

Just a couple pics - sorry there aren't more, but we dug in pretty quick.

The triple hook was to distinguish the Crucible from the regular (the wife didn't want to risk it)

happy Friday!

Happy Friday! Nice bones.

Hey guys, I'm still trying to read through this entire thread, you all have been very inspring! I'm on about page 70. Thread seems to be quieting down.

I got a great deal on some nice hanging skewers on amazon and tried this but they all fell off about 40 min in. Any clever tricks to get them to hold? I'm thinking about drilling a hole in them and using stainless cotter pins to act as a support.

TnAwZPFblotSUlVlQlI_F0zs2A5OU1BBF5SvWzD7lwZ-lm5ZmplyWNYXqHGxwFXDmYTW0IJapr0tV6IdJB56jmdnGRyPfmtSL1ZfgZYTmYFZEF6MgBq5n2lhTKeP0NRs7iimGQKjSbZK_sNg5HBKUJge8hIJNxxEZUNPPsJRAEnShuoM63YSpawiKtUow6OPpwg5gfrxtO5ZilXoSyq6K65muke_eTmz6eUcezadRrRtL9y05ckH9fBphkTEf2PcLkrZDkM5RRu8UEpTrpHCWShhqYS1I63b-Uc2EJFecKmliOF1HqLNznG_oT49TSlrULNLt53Gu8QwA1AZCfSCWSBTcxge-pW_Q3o-es98JYB33s2wJkG8NM4EwqVz3rroLaN1mq1ge8x-d-MCPEOXuMxg-unBtcLsAE0wskSu7KMLhgYdvuMkRwNPp8rzd4QO_Ozf9WevUyqx9hygjLhMUP3RF9eXJ5yUXtWUtIclWtPyyz_AUrUjYaghZkaKpGGUbI7VvLc5UirANOBqqivMo4ObuoDPpeb0up5Ej2ByAAVJjkpTTWXrh0f8mQ0gj3-lMG3N=w1144-h643-no

Man, been almost two weeks since I've been able to break out the pbc due to time constraints and work, this weekend will be no different as I'm going to Port Aransas with some buddies. Will have a Green Egg minimax to play with but I'm none sing for my barrel!

Great looking cooks guys! My last one was a brisket for the Super Bowl. Turned out ok considering I had every problem imaginable, from botching the crutch by using crappy foil, to almost losing the 13# packer when the top hook slipped out as I was taking it off to wrap. I felt the hook slip, and as I jerked my arm up the hunk of meat flew up in the air. I was able to catch it about 6 inches from the ground. Had fire issues from a different brand of charcoal because the store was out of Stubbs and kbb. Fire died completely with the brisket at 199, had to finish in the oven. Turned out decent considering.

Can someone who uses lump with their pbc detail their lighting technique? Thinking of switching up

Hey guys, I'm still trying to read through this entire thread, you all have been very inspring! I'm on about page 70. Thread seems to be quieting down.

I got a great deal on some nice hanging skewers on amazon and tried this but they all fell off about 40 min in. Any clever tricks to get them to hold? I'm thinking about drilling a hole in them and using stainless cotter pins to act as a support.

TnAwZPFblotSUlVlQlI_F0zs2A5OU1BBF5SvWzD7lwZ-lm5ZmplyWNYXqHGxwFXDmYTW0IJapr0tV6IdJB56jmdnGRyPfmtSL1ZfgZYTmYFZEF6MgBq5n2lhTKeP0NRs7iimGQKjSbZK_sNg5HBKUJge8hIJNxxEZUNPPsJRAEnShuoM63YSpawiKtUow6OPpwg5gfrxtO5ZilXoSyq6K65muke_eTmz6eUcezadRrRtL9y05ckH9fBphkTEf2PcLkrZDkM5RRu8UEpTrpHCWShhqYS1I63b-Uc2EJFecKmliOF1HqLNznG_oT49TSlrULNLt53Gu8QwA1AZCfSCWSBTcxge-pW_Q3o-es98JYB33s2wJkG8NM4EwqVz3rroLaN1mq1ge8x-d-MCPEOXuMxg-unBtcLsAE0wskSu7KMLhgYdvuMkRwNPp8rzd4QO_Ozf9WevUyqx9hygjLhMUP3RF9eXJ5yUXtWUtIclWtPyyz_AUrUjYaghZkaKpGGUbI7VvLc5UirANOBqqivMo4ObuoDPpeb0up5Ej2ByAAVJjkpTTWXrh0f8mQ0gj3-lMG3N=w1144-h643-no

A couple pages back Thingfish details a skewer that you might like.

Wishing I had ordered the hinge grate today:cry:

Doing chicken....and we all know the PBC can rock some chicken, but wife wanted camp fire tators on the side (just sliced taters foiled in butter with spices of choice). Had to go with the weber. Oh well. Got some spares for the PBC tomorrow. Trying the Oakridge chicken n pork secret weapon today.....sure tasted good from the lick.

Back