THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

napp37

Knows what a fatty is.
I finally got around to making a batch of pickles using the recipe that marubozo was kind enough to share with all of us. I'm trying my best to wait 2 or 3 days to give them time to soak up all the flavors.

Attachments

• Pickles.jpg
    Pickles.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 606
They are really good. I cut back to half the salt and used a Habanero pepper for spice. We love it. They are good after 24 hours...

They are really good. I cut back to half the salt and used a Habanero pepper for spice. We love it. They are good after 24 hours...

Thanks for the info. I followed the recipe exactly for the first try. I can always adjust the next time if needed.

I agree 100% with what the other Brethren said...I cut the salt in half and they are great. The longer they set, the better the zing is with them.

I have only tried to make pickles a few times and each time they come out very bitter. I use a stainless steel pot to make the pickling liquid but I think somehow I am getting a bad reaction with this pot. Anyone have any thoughts?

I made them last week and they are awesome! I accidentally used caraway instead of the other spice in the recipe and they are shill great!

I made them last week and used pickling cuc's more because they looked the right size than anything else. I also added a cut up habanero to each jar--they must have been killers as the pickles had really taken on heat after day two and I had to pull the peppers out. Good tho

I have always used pickling cukes to make'em as they are the right size for the Ziploc plastic quart jars I bought. Our cucumber plants are flowering like crazy now, so I expect my next double batch (half sliced / half spears) will be doubly good as they will be home grown and made...

I might try these over the weekend. The recipe doesn't say when to put the lids on the jars. I assume right after filling with the hot brine?

Terry, do you have a picture or link for the Ziploc quart containers that you used? How do they hold up to the heat?

I make the brine, divide the other spices and the cukes in the jars, and then pour the brine on top to fill.

I also add the sliced peppers (Habanero's in my case) into the boiling water when I put the garlic in. I think this extracts a little of the Capsaicin oil and makes for a spicier pickle.

The jars I use are similar to these:

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/TwistLocContainers.aspx

Looks like they are rated for soups, so a little hot brine shouldn't hurt it. I usually wait a 5 - 10 mins and then put the lids on. Leave them on the counter overnight and then into the fridge the next day.

I love how crunchy these are, even several weeks after they were made. And they do get spicier as time goes by.

mmm pickles, i've only made pickled peppers once with some friends years ago, but they were amazing, I'm gonna have to look this recipe up. Thanks!!

Here is a pic of my picks in one of the jars and one of the lid:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 215
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 214
Sounds Great Please give an update

Couldn't wait a full 2-3 days. I tried a couple of pickle spears tonight. Overall, I thought they were great tasting.

I think I will reduce the salt in my next batch. I am a heavy salt eater; so they were OK for me. However, I know that some of my friends are going to find them too salty.

I used the Hungarian wax peppers listed in the recipe; and I used Boston Pickling Cucumbers.

I made these 2weeks ago. Only 4tbsp of salt rather than 6. They were perfect on day 2, but now I find the vinegar flavor has just increased to the point that I can No longer get them down.

Back