Pho

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I had two small goals over my Christmas break. The first one was to try Pho and the second was to find a place that had good spicy fried chicken. I accomplished my first goal at a restaurant called Quangs. They had the highest recommendations for the best Pho in the Twin Cities. They did not disappoint. I don't know why I waited so long to try it. My Cambodian friend has been telling my wife and I about it forever. I should have listened.

After trying Pho, it has been on my mind ever since. My quest for spicy fried chicken had disappeared. Turns out there is a Vietnamese restaurant called Pho83 just a few miles from my house. Who knew. That just shows you how much I go out and eat at restaurants. I've been tempted to sneak over there for a bowl of Pho but I've promised myself that I'd try making it first. So I had some extra time this weekend.

I didn't know we had a Pho restaurant but I did know we had a couple different oriental markets the next town over. So I dedicated my Saturday morning to check them out. I'm sure I looked like an idiot scratching my head and trying to figure out what I needed. There are some serious shoppers in there. Double check shopping cart mirrors or get run over by everyone going 80mph in there! One of the employees came over and helped my wife and I out. We explained a few things on the list we were looking for. He couldn't understand most of things we were saying and vice versa for us. We showed him my phone and was quick to help us. The employee gave us a spice kit made for Pho. I had no idea the main spices came prepackaged like that. A really nice guy who helped a ton.

We decided to go check the other market down the road. They also came in clutch with helping us out. We had a few questions on the beef bones and if they were the right ones. When checking out at the register the lady in front of us looked in our cart. She said, "Oh wow are you guys making Pho?" I said we were. She goes, "How often do you make it?" Ummm....first time. She was really excited for us. She said she's never made it but her Grandma used to make it all the time for her. So I thought that was pretty fun that she was excited for us. At the exact same time I was thinking...oh sh*t. She probably knew exactly what she was buying and making in her cart and she's never made it? This could get interesting.

I really didn't do a whole lot with the Big Green Egg and the recipe. I fired up the large for the onions and ginger. The rest was on the stove.

Was it Quang good? Not quite. I still need a bunch of practice but happy for my first attempt. It's a good base to start with. I'm looking forward to playing around with the recipe some. I'm going to use a mixture of oxtail with the beef bones next time. I know the broth clarity is a big deal with Pho. I took my time skimming it and ran it through cheesecloth 3 separate times. So it ended up taking two days to make with the fat rising to the top overnight. In the end I think it was worth the effort. Looking forward to making this again.

My wife texted our Cambodian friend a picture of the Pho. He said, "Dang I'm super jealous! What restaurant are you at?" We told him we made it at home. His response, "Wait, you made the broth?" Hahahaha!!!! I guess I can be happy with the lady at the super market now. First Pho attempt out of the way!

My wife loves Pho. I have not had the guts to try and make it because like you, I wouldn't know where to start. Glad you enjoyed!

That's awesome! Pho, while absolutely delicious, can be a labor of love, for sure.

In order to short-circuit the seemingly never-ending task of making a decent pho broth, I make it in my InstantPot (electric pressure cooker). Personally, I never get too worried about broth clarity - the various ways of clarifying broth are all WAY more fussy than they're worth, particularly when they have such a minuscule effect on the taste of the broth. I just run it through a strainer, de-fat with the plastic bag method, and call it good.

In the end, wouldn't expect my Pho to satisfy a purist...but it's good enough to make my wife and I happy. Plus, when I make it at home, I can add all the protein I want instead of having to be satisfied with the occasionally meager portions we tend to get at our local Vietnamese restaurants! :-D

Sounds and looks awesome, I love Pho.
Appears you have the same Asian suppliers as us,super helpfull.

I can't get enough pho. My family makes fun of me for wanting pho so much. I have wanted to make it but the restaurant I get it at is so good I'm pretty sure I would just be disappointed.

I made a chicken Pho for the first time a couple weeks ago using the instant pot and the recipe from serious eats, and it turned out amazing, and it only took a few hours. I had to tell the wife and kids it was "chicken noodle soup" to get them to eat it, but they all enjoyed it.

I love pho. Have made it with venison and cold smoked quail and duck eggs. It's addicting. lol Yours looks fantastic!!

because like you, I wouldn't know where to start.
I know where it starts, and that's 8 - 12 hours in the kitchen, that's why I don't make it.
Good for you insta potters- that's not me either.

with in a mile we have several restaurants that serve pho as well as 4 or 5 Asian grocery stores. I've been to a few of the markets and it can be very intimidating, nothing is in English. there is a really good place not a half mile from home that specializes in pho. it's so close and so good I would never consider making it myself when I can get a large bowl (more than I can finish) for $8. I'd spend more than that making it myself.

glad you enjoyed it

My mom grinds all of her own spices for pho but I cheat and use the spice packet. Still haven't found a good substitute for the 6 hours of making the broth and breaking down the beef though...

gia-vi-nau-pho-hoa.png

My wife loves Pho. I have not had the guts to try and make it because like you, I wouldn't know where to start. Glad you enjoyed!

Got to love YouTube! There are some great videos that go over Pho. I enjoyed the process. Hard to take all that to make it when you can go and get an excellent bowl of Pho for under $10. The broth freezes well and can be put together relatively easy. So any extra made is good. So the time putting the broth together is worth it in some way or another!

U
That's awesome! Pho, while absolutely delicious, can be a labor of love, for sure.

In order to short-circuit the seemingly never-ending task of making a decent pho broth, I make it in my InstantPot (electric pressure cooker). Personally, I never get too worried about broth clarity - the various ways of clarifying broth are all WAY more fussy than they're worth, particularly when they have such a minuscule effect on the taste of the broth. I just run it through a strainer, de-fat with the plastic bag method, and call it good.

In the end, wouldn't expect my Pho to satisfy a purist...but it's good enough to make my wife and I happy. Plus, when I make it at home, I can add all the protein I want instead of having to be satisfied with the occasionally meager portions we tend to get at our local Vietnamese restaurants! :-D

That's what cooking is all about. You can make it however you want. No right or wrong rules if you're happy with it. It sounds like an excellent way to enjoy Pho!

Sounds and looks awesome, I love Pho.
Appears you have the same Asian suppliers as us,super helpfull.

Definitely. They noticed the deer in the head light look on my face. They were most helpful and I truly enjoyed the experience!

I can't get enough pho. My family makes fun of me for wanting pho so much. I have wanted to make it but the restaurant I get it at is so good I'm pretty sure I would just be disappointed.

I completely understand what you're saying. Hard to beat a good bowl of Pho for under $10. Going to take some time before I completely understand what I'm doing. Fun experience though.

I made a chicken Pho for the first time a couple weeks ago using the instant pot and the recipe from serious eats, and it turned out amazing, and it only took a few hours. I had to tell the wife and kids it was "chicken noodle soup" to get them to eat it, but they all enjoyed it.

Nice! Nothing wrong with calling it chicken noodle soup. That's great!

Back