THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bottom Almost Finished

Work is fixing to come to a standstill for a few days as I head back to work. I finished up on the bottom, and have it primed for paint. The small outer cracks I fixed with JB Weld as that seems to be what the others have used, and that is actually what the grills manual says to do. There was one long crack that ran form the bottom vent door to the top that concerned me so I decided to go a little over the top some might say. Anyway, I laid a layer of high temp cement on in a large area, then reinforced the area with fiberglass mat. Then pushed the fiberglass into the cement, then spread another small layer over that. Waited for just over 24 hours, then applied another thin layer of high heat cement over that.

After allowing everything to dry another day or so, I applied my couple of layers of high heat paint to the bottom of the kamodo today. I will let it sit for another couple of days while I am at work, then start with the red/orange overcoat. Its coming along better than I hoped and I cannot wait to fire up this old grill.

Attachments

• Bottom Outside Repair.jpg
    Bottom Outside Repair.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Bottom Inside Repair.jpg
    Bottom Inside Repair.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Bottom Black Paint.jpg
    Bottom Black Paint.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 179
Vent Door Gasket

Nice job fixen that old clay pot up!! It’s coming out great!

Thanks, Silverfinger, I see by your signature that you have an old Imperial Kamodo. If, and when you replaced the bottom vent door, what type of sealant did you, use if any? Not sure if I should use something to form a small gasket around the bottom vent screen when I bolt it on the bottom pot or not. Thanks in advance.

Todd

Lookin' Good!
I really like the Chevy Orange.

Yeah, I was surprised that the color matched the original so well. In fact it looks almost identical. You sure won't miss this thing when I get it put together. I almost went with a more muted color, but when I showed the pics of the dome to the family, they were pleased that I chose to use the original color as they enjoyed many cookouts on the ole clay pot when my father-in-law was alive.

This project is awesome! Love the dedication. Updates are great! Good luck TGamel. Cant wait until the end.

Sand Blasted and Painted Brackets

Now that I am off work for a few days, I sand blasted the bands or rings, or whatever you want to call them. :wink: And primed them in black, two coats and then will wait 24 hours to apply a gloss black finish. I also purchased new bolts, nuts, and washers for a couple bucks cause why not do it right. I have a cheap-o $29, sand blaster which we use here on the farm, or what used to be our farm. Purchased it at Harbor Freight several years ago. I will say this if you use a good 80 grit glass bead/sand, it cleans like a dream, of course you get a complete covering of sand on you, so make sure you use a respirator and safety glasses.

Attachments

• Grill Bands.jpg
    Grill Bands.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Grill Bands 2.jpg
    Grill Bands 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 193
The Dry Fit

After letting the base dry for a few days, I installed the new draft door with some clear silicone and the included hardware. This kit has the nice stainless door with the holes as well and the solid slide door. Quite a bit better than the original kit. While I am waiting for the bands to dry I wanted to dry fit the pieces and give you guys a quick look.

I still have to install the gaskets to the top and bottom pieces and will leave them to sit top on bottom so that the weight of the top will help make sure I get a good seal. Then I will install the bands, and she should be ready to be fired up for the first time in a long time. :clap2: So this is how she looks so far with the new paint, draft door, and replacement top vent as that was the only original piece missing form this project.

Attachments

• Together.jpg
    Together.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 197
…so when you get it all refurbed, they’re going to ask for it back, right? :p

Yeah, I made sure that no one wanted it back, before I started putting my time sweat and tears into it. It was slated for the trash, so i told everyone no else no take backs!!! Hehehehe

Thanks, Silverfinger, I see by your signature that you have an old Imperial Kamodo. If, and when you replaced the bottom vent door, what type of sealant did you, use if any? Not sure if I should use something to form a small gasket around the bottom vent screen when I bolt it on the bottom pot or not. Thanks in advance.

Todd

I don’t have a vented door on mine. The old one’s just had a plug that you could pull out to adjust the air intake.
Iv’e been using a piece of cardboard covered with tinfoil to block off the air intake. I leave it approximately 1” open.

This is a link of mine that I listed for sale in April of 2018 (still for sale)
This old Kamado is actually in really great shape for it’s age.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259233

Back