PBC is great, but I need a grill!

Kettle. These fellas get me through most of what I like to do. Like others have said, CL is your friend!
20170319_153018_zpsihwlhfaj.jpg

Nice setup - I'm in. Looking at CL - i see a lot of older Kettles. I think the gas assisted version is what I will be getting. Haven't seen anything being sold (as owners).

Have some HD credit though - any point in getting an extending warranty whatsoever for the Performer?

Yep, I agree with all the above, get a kettle, the pbc is just a drum smoker, it can't do it all.

PBC does what it does very well, but not jack of all trades. I even used an extra charcoal grate to grill up on higher in the PBC, and all I did was discolor my logo.

Buy a Weber!!!

I got lucky on CL and got a Weber 26.5 even though I didn't really need it. Turns out it's my go to grill :grin:

Please explain :roll:

Mostly just jerking your chain Jeremy. Haven't found much the PBC can't do, even direct grill or searing is possible either by cranking up the fire with the lid off or moving the charcoal basket up to grate level and using another grate on top of the rebar.....

But having said that I still bought a Weber Kettle after owning the PBC to use as a straight charcoal grill, and I have a gasser for quick weeknight meals of dogs and burgers. And I'd still like a stickburner....

But it really is a very versatile cooker.

I loved the gas assist and used it every time. Light the assist for about 5 mins with the charcoal on top or chimney and that's it. Def was a plus for me and well worth it.

Kl2mCDgh.jpg
The Performer's gas assist is awesome with a chimney. Takes maybe 5 minutes with the gas on and maybe another 5 or so after turning the gas off.

Bought the rotisserie kit for my Performer a few years ago. After buying a Weber Jumbo Joe, the rotisserie is now about the only reason I roll the Performer out of the garage.

Like others have said, Weber kettles are great. However, with all four of my kids now out of the house I rarely need the 22.5" diameter of cooking space.

The Jumbo Joe has become my primary gril. Had a Smokey Joe but could never get it hot enough for my liking so I sold it at a garage sale years ago. The Jumbo Joe is perfect for most of my grilling needs. Not as compact as the Smokey but still easily portable. Has enough additional airspace to get raging hot when necessary. Still use the WSM for long smokes but the Jumbo is adjustable enough to smoke tri-tips. Think the Jumbo still retails for $60. Got mine for $40 at Target in the fall a couple years ago. Best $40 I ever spent.

Works for me. Now to learn to improve grilling skills. the PBC is like cheating - you can't dry out the meat. Currently I sous vide or cook on cast iron - again drying out your protein takes effort. Grilling means needing to develop game hahah!

Right on! I've got a PBC and a bunch of Webers too, one is Performer Deluxe (sadly no gas assist, but couldn't say no to 50% off at Lowes). They're great!

The Performer's gas assist is awesome with a chimney. Takes maybe 5 minutes with the gas on and maybe another 5 or so after turning the gas off.

Bought the rotisserie kit for my Performer a few years ago. After buying a Weber Jumbo Joe, the rotisserie is now about the only reason I roll the Performer out of the garage.

Like others have said, Weber kettles are great. However, with all four of my kids now out of the house I rarely need the 22.5" diameter of cooking space.

The Jumbo Joe has become my primary gril. Had a Smokey Joe but could never get it hot enough for my liking so I sold it at a garage sale years ago. The Jumbo Joe is perfect for most of my grilling needs. Not as compact as the Smokey but still easily portable. Has enough additional airspace to get raging hot when necessary. Still use the WSM for long smokes but the Jumbo is adjustable enough to smoke tri-tips. Think the Jumbo still retails for $60. Got mine for $40 at Target in the fall a couple years ago. Best $40 I ever spent.

I sold my performer because the patio was getting out of hand even after the extension. Absolutely agree on the Jumbo Joe. I love that thing. 18" is ideal which is not small and not too big plus it tucks away very easily. That is my go to grill now for smaller cooks.

You can buy an onlyfire 18" rotisserie and works perfect with a JJ. They sent me one for review and I like it a lot. The prices on them came down some so it's cheap now at $69.99 for stainless and $57.99 for painted.

Made some chicken over the weekend as a matter of fact

XzzV7UKh.jpg

4q5e7lph.jpg

APL0IQhh.jpg

Amazing for sear/reverse sear

I7hLN5Vh.jpg

uFWN6O1h.png

Spinning big cuts

l3qXOHwh.jpg

Vortex

E4Mxqafh.jpg

Smoking

J7jjIXsh.jpg

The list goes on an on.

I sold my performer because the patio was getting out of hand even after the extension. Absolutely agree on the Jumbo Joe. I love that thing. 18" is ideal which is not small and not too big plus it tucks away very easily. That is my go to grill now for smaller cooks.

You can buy an onlyfire 18" rotisserie and works perfect with a JJ. They sent me one for review and I like it a lot. The prices on them came down some so it's cheap now at $69.99 for stainless and $57.99 for painted.

Made some chicken over the weekend as a matter of fact

XzzV7UKh.jpg

4q5e7lph.jpg

APL0IQhh.jpg

Amazing for sear/reverse sear

I7hLN5Vh.jpg

uFWN6O1h.png

Spinning big cuts

l3qXOHwh.jpg

Vortex

E4Mxqafh.jpg

Smoking

J7jjIXsh.jpg

The list goes on an on.
Very nice. Please PM me a link to the rotiss stainless kit.

Back