PBC 3.5 Pound Tomahawk's

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
Inspired by the latest Pit Barrel Cooker video here: https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/resources/tomahawk-rib-eye/

I wandered over to my local Sam's Club to discover that they had CAB Tomahawk Ribeye's on sale! Of course I had to purchase two that were about 3.5 pounds each. I decided to run Royal Oak lump in my PBC as it runs hotter than briquettes for me. I added a few solid chunks of Hickory and let a roaring fire get going before putting the lid on to take the temperature back down a notch.

Drilling 1/4' holes through the bones for the PBC hooks took longer than I would have expected, and watching bone and marrow slivers spiral out of the drill bit made me feel like I was in the 2005 film "Hostel" sans apron.

I seasoned the steaks, hung, and cracked the lid to keep the heat up. My steaks took on more color than the ones in the PBC video, but I attribute that to hotter lump charcoal and a longer cook time due to the large size. I didn't set my watch but the approximate cook time was 50 minutes to an hour.

Great fun, and much less work than a reverse sear. Nice even pink all the way through as well. I could cook eight of these in my PBC for a party!

Raw Steak
Cowboy Raw by David Miller, on Flickr

Rolling Smoke!
Cowboy Pit Barrel by David Miller, on Flickr

Resting
Cowboy Cooked by David Miller, on Flickr

Sliced and Delicious!
Cowboy Sliced by David Miller, on Flickr

That must have looked strange, using a cordless drill on a Tomahawk steak in the kitchen. :shock: Good idea though!

Way to go mate, looks delicious.
So! you did use a doweling bit i hope, :becky:

Tomahawks are on my to do list. Never done one. Thanks for the tips and motivation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back