Oysters on the Joe

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
I was craving oysters so I picked up a box of Chesapeake Bay oysters from Dekalb Farmers market. Fired up the Big Joe and ate couple raw while waiting for the grill to come up to temp. It was fresh but kind of bland.

6GYUxaPh.jpg

The grilled ones had more flavor but I overcooked bunch of them. I left it on the grill too long because I was waiting for the shells to open. It was still good but lesson learned. But I satisfied my oyster craving for today. Mission accomplished.

RYe32dRh.jpg

YeYbb1vh.jpg

TfeKbO3h.jpg

I'm so envious right now.

Those look awesome.

You folks didn't just dine... you feasted!

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
I tried grilling whole oysters once.I expected the shell to pop open like clams or mussels.Ruined some oysters.Now,I only grill them after opening them.

• Thanks
Usually they will pop but not fully open. Pretty easy to open then.

When grilling a lot, we will put a pan of butter seasoned with garlic, onion, and Tabasco or something like it. AS the y cook toss them in the hot tub and people can grab them with a fork.

Dam Tasty!

Looks like you did good.

One of the things I miss about the coast.

I grew up on the NC Coast... or close enough to it that I'd had a raw oyster, cocktail sauce, and saltine in my mouth by 3 yrs old. Can't keep me away from oysters if I have the chance.

This takes me back to my youth...

• Thanks
Looks great, love them raw and cooked on the half shell topped with cajun seasoning and fresh grated parmesan cheese.

• Thanks
I tried grilling whole oysters once.I expected the shell to pop open like clams or mussels.Ruined some oysters.Now,I only grill them after opening them.

Yeah, it was learning experience. I grilled Florida gulf oysters before and they all pretty much opened up. I thought the same would happen with the Chesapeake oysters. But some opened and some didn't. So I left it on waiting for it to open which was a mistake. Next time, I'm going to take it off the grill whether it opened or not. The grilled oysters opens really easily once it's been on the grill anyway.

Usually they will pop but not fully open. Pretty easy to open then.

When grilling a lot, we will put a pan of butter seasoned with garlic, onion, and Tabasco or something like it. AS the y cook toss them in the hot tub and people can grab them with a fork.

Dam Tasty!

Looks like you did good.

One of the things I really miss because of covid is eating oysters at restaurants. I love oysters, especially raw but I'm terrible at opening it. Which is why I grilled these. But I ordered oyster knife on Amazon last night and watched couple Youtube videos how to shuck oysters. So I plan on buying another box to practice and eat raw.

It's also not easy to find oysters in shell in Atlanta but someone told me about Dekalb Farmers market in Atlanta. For anyone living in metro Atlanta area, Dekalb Farmers market is great international market and they sell several different varieties of oysters. One of the best supermarkets I've been to in the US with all kinds of fresh produce, meats, and seafood.

Have a family history of food poisoning with oysters.
I'll pry die before trying one or 30.
Ed

• Thanks
Back