THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
So I have been noticing some spots of that oxidation black residue in my grinds. I have (at least I thought) thoroughly cleaned. I, at least, think I get all of it out when I detect it. I am able to pinpoint the source seems to be coming from the bottom of the auger stud....everything else looks clean.

I have since purchased lem food grade lubricant, and sprayed my knife and Dies, but it didn't seem to help.

For context, I have the LEM Big Bite #8 .5HP. Upon research, I noticed there is a removable stud on the front of the auger. This is an area I have not paid attention to and feel this could be the culprit.

I guess my question is for all you meat grinders out there, Does anyone have experience with this and how do I correct it?

Photos for context. Thanks Brethren!

stainless-steel-lem-meat-grinders-17791-4f_1000.jpg

01003011_1.jpg

Chances are that the culprit is an aluminum component. Aluminum will oxidize and turn a dark grey/black. The steel cutter and dies can rust but they don't oxidize like that.

I had a horrible experience when I put my grinder parts in the dishwasher. All my pretty polished aluminum came out with a grey film that was a nightmare to clean. I used everything abrasive in my arsenal to get it clean again. Subsequent cleanings were just Dawn in the sink. Lesson learned.

Back