Oxidation in my meat grind

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
So I have been noticing some spots of that oxidation black residue in my grinds. I have (at least I thought) thoroughly cleaned. I, at least, think I get all of it out when I detect it. I am able to pinpoint the source seems to be coming from the bottom of the auger stud....everything else looks clean.

I have since purchased lem food grade lubricant, and sprayed my knife and Dies, but it didn't seem to help.

For context, I have the LEM Big Bite #8 .5HP. Upon research, I noticed there is a removable stud on the front of the auger. This is an area I have not paid attention to and feel this could be the culprit.

I guess my question is for all you meat grinders out there, Does anyone have experience with this and how do I correct it?

Photos for context. Thanks Brethren!

stainless-steel-lem-meat-grinders-17791-4f_1000.jpg

01003011_1.jpg

Chances are that the culprit is an aluminum component. Aluminum will oxidize and turn a dark grey/black. The steel cutter and dies can rust but they don't oxidize like that.

I had a horrible experience when I put my grinder parts in the dishwasher. All my pretty polished aluminum came out with a grey film that was a nightmare to clean. I used everything abrasive in my arsenal to get it clean again. Subsequent cleanings were just Dawn in the sink. Lesson learned.

Back